Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TriggerCustomEvent

hi
    I use custom Events in a strategy that trades Multiple Instruments.

IF the Custom event is for BarsInProgress 1 or 2 must i do

TriggerCustomEvent(customEvent, 1 , object state) or
    TriggerCustomEvent(customEvent, 2 , object state) respectively.

Or must i always trigger with BarsInProgress 0 i.e
    TriggerCustomEvent(customEvent, 0 , object state)

In addition, it would be useful to know exactly what does TriggerCustomEvent do.. it says from help, it resets pointers, what pointers ?

thanks
    Last edited by aljafp; 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM.

Hello,

>>TriggerCustomEvent works like any multithread event handler, when something happens NT executes code (points to code) in the designated area. Basically like OnBarUpdate, OnExecution, or any other method that is in the help guide that starts with "On...."().

>>What are you trying to do? Do something when a bar is updated? I'd use BarsInProgress instead:

>>If I understand correctly, no, just use BarsInProgess like it shows in the link above.

In addition, it would be useful to know exactly what does TriggerCustomEvent do.. it says from help, it resets pointers, what pointers ?

>>see my first statement above. Think of pointers as something that points to a location in your code or to a specific memory location.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post
      Hello,

>>TriggerCustomEvent works like any multithread event handler, when something happens NT executes code (points to code) in the designated area. Basically like OnBarUpdate, OnExecution, or any other method that is in the help guide that starts with "On...."().

>>What are you trying to do? Do something when a bar is updated? I'd use BarsInProgress instead:

>>If I understand correctly, no, just use BarsInProgess like it shows in the link above.

>>see my first statement above. Think of pointers as something that points to a location in your code or to a specific memory location.
      I have a multiple instrument strategy but it has an external trigger which i use custom events to trigger. ( so it cannot be in onBarUpdate )
      So depending on the Event, i may send trades for Data Stream 0, 1 or 2.
      Thus if its an Event where i want to send trades for Data Stream 1.
      Do i do TriggerCustomEvent(customEvent, 1 , object state) ?

I know what a pointer is. My question was what pointers does TriggerCustomEvent reset ?

Comment

Hello,

Some code would help me understand. Please explain "external trigger" and by "data stream" do you mean bars or literally another data provider?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post
          Hello,

Some code would help me understand. Please explain "external trigger" and by "data stream" do you mean bars or literally another data provider?
          Say i watch a number of text files. Depending on which text file occurs, i will send orders for Instrument[0] or Instrument[1] or Instrument[2]. Hence my question, when the specific event occurs, do i need to perform TriggerCustomEvent(customEvent, 0 , object state) or TriggerCustomEvent(customEvent, 1 , object state) or TriggerCustomEvent(customEvent, 2 , object state) respectively. Or do i always default to using TriggerCustomEvent(customEvent, 0 , object state) Again, you still have not answer my query on what exactly does TriggerCustomEvent do ? What pointers is the method resetting ? thanks

Comment

Hello,

I will have someone reply to you on Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Comment

You need to call it with the BIP context you want it to run off of. Pointers reset are internal pointers. These pointers control things like CurrentBar pointers to let you know which bar you are on and things like this that are under the hood things for NinjaTrader to help your script be in the correct location with correct values. Generally, you don't need to worry about it.
              Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                You need to call it with the BIP context you want it to run off of. Pointers reset are internal pointers. These pointers control things like CurrentBar pointers to let you know which bar you are on and things like this that are under the hood things for NinjaTrader to help your script be in the correct location with correct values. Generally, you don't need to worry about it.
                Actually could you give an example of what can go wrong if we do not trigger custom events via TriggerCustomEvent method ? thanks

Comment

aljafp,

I am not sure what you mean. Nothing "goes wrong" per se. If you don't trigger an event then simply no event is thrown and that part of your code does not process.

Comment

aljafp,

I am not sure what you mean. Nothing "goes wrong" per se. If you don't trigger an event then simply no event is thrown and that part of your code does not process.
                    Let me clarify
                    What if instead of

// Your timer object tick event handler
                    private void OnTimerTick()
                    {
                    // Do not process your code here but instead call the TriggerCustomEvent()
                    // method and process your code in the MyCustomHandler method
                    TriggerCustomEvent(new CustomEvent(MyCustomHandler, 0, "myText");
                    }

private void MyCustomHandler(object state)
                    {
                    Print((string) state + " " + CurrentBar.ToString());
                    }

Without going through TriggerCustomEvent I do
                    {
                    MyProcessingFunction()
                    }

Without Calling TriggerCustomEvent, MyProcessingFunction will still be triggered.

So What can go wrong ? If nothing can go wrong, why the need to call TriggerCustomEvent in the first place ?

thanks

Comment

aljafp,

That is not an event then. That is simply processing the method. You would only be able to process that method when you receive an event. For instance, OnBarUpdate()s are events. If you just want the code to process based off of bar updates then you do not need to use TriggerCustomEvent at all.

Comment

aljafp,

That is not an event then. That is simply processing the method. You would only be able to process that method when you receive an event. For instance, OnBarUpdate()s are events. If you just want the code to process based off of bar updates then you do not need to use TriggerCustomEvent at all.
                        Sigh, Let me clarify further
                        protected override void Initialize()
                        {
                        myTimer.Tick += new EventHandler(OnTimerTick);
                        myTimer.Interval = 10000;
                        myTimer.Start();
                        }

{
                        MyProcessingFunction()
                        }
                        Without Calling TriggerCustomEvent,
                        MyProcessingFunction will still be triggered. So What can go wrong ? If nothing can go wrong, why the need to call TriggerCustomEvent in the first place ? thanks

Comment

You needed to through the TriggerCustomEvent logic to make sure the NT internal stuff is setup correctly.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by kujista, Today, 06:23 AM
                          0 responses
                          1 view
                          0 likes
                          Last Post kujista
                          by kujista

Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 04:32 PM
                          1 response