Short Sale Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Sale Issues

When I first started using NT I ran it along side my TDA app to get used to it before trying to execute trades through it. During this time there were several instances where I submitted short sale orders through my TDA app only to have them mysteriously canceled.

Once I started using NT only, and submitted my first short sale order the mystery from the TDA side went away. My order was accepted and went into the Executions tab in Control Center as a working order. However, instead of the order being executed, about 5 seconds passed, and then I heard the familiar "Order Cancelled" announcement I had been hearing when the TDA trades mysteriously did not go through.

At this point I am not sure what to do. I assume that short sales are possible within NT but I can't find any explanation as to why NT's execution manager apparently seems to cancel them before they are executed. Since I am a day trader, and perform short sales frequently, this is a really big concern.

What steps can I take to determine what is happening and ensure my short sale orders are executed properly in the future?

Do you mean within a strategy?

Try this in "Initialize"

TimeInForce = Cbi.TimeInForce.Gtc;

If you mean for manually entered trades, check your settings under Tools / Options.
    Last edited by Sleeping Troll; 04-17-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I am not using strategies at all right now. I am placing manual trades that are moving to the Execution tab and are then being canceled. As I mentioned in the previous post this was even happening when I was placing trades with my TD Ameritrade applications and had NT open at the same time.

I have gone through all of the option settings and I am not seeing anything that relates to this behavior.

Is there a specific setting that you are referring to?

Comment

Enter "TIF" in search field of help menu.

Comment

Okay I entered TIF in the search field of the help menu...

It sounds like you are suggesting that the orders are being canceled because the time-in-force has expired?

This is certainly not the cause in this case.

I have been unable to execute a single short sale order with NT so far.

Every single time I have submitted one it has been canceled. The orders have been submitted during the day and although were not selected as GTC orders, this should have had no effect since they did not extend past the normal trading hours.

Each order should have been filled immediately and instead were canceled before execution.

Was there another meaning to your search query suggestion that I am not understanding?
          Last edited by kinsei; 04-18-2010, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Nope, that was it... I guess I would have to sit at your PC, wish you luck!
            it sounds like your orders are being cancelled at close of bar.
            Last edited by Sleeping Troll; 04-18-2010, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Going through the options menu again, I noticed a setting I had ignored before due to the fact that I am not using strategies.

Under the Strategies/NinjaScript tab, there is an option which states..

"Cancel exit orders when a strategy is disabled"

This was checked by default upon initial install of the program. I had been ignoring the options on the "Strategies" tab since I have not used any strategies so far but this sounds somewhat close to what is happening.

I have unchecked this for now. Can anyone confirm if this would have been causing my short sale orders to be canceled?

Comment

FYI, that option was indeed the culprit.

I have been able to execute short sales without any issues today.

That is a pretty weird default setting to have...

Comment

Hello,

Glad to see the issue is resolved.

Thank you for the assist Sleeping Troll.
                  Last edited by NinjaTrader_Brett; 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason  
                  Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post rocketman7