• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Maximum amount of data for backtesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximum amount of data for backtesting

Hi,
    I would like to know what the maximum amount of 1 minute data (Emini) can be used for testing strategies.

Also what is the maximum number of minute data that can be displayed in a chart.

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob, there's really no hard set limit, it would depend a lot on your system setup and available resources, however with minute data you go generally easier on resources than with tick related data.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Bertrand, thanks for your response. I guess I was looking for a more specific answer. Assuming that I have unlimited resources can would NT allow me to run a backtest with one, five or ten years of one minute historical data?

Does anyone else have any specific esxperience backtesting large amounts of one minute data?

What about charts. Can I display one, five, or tens years of minute data on a chart? What are NT's limits?

Thanks,
      Bob

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Bob, there's really no hard set limit, it would depend a lot on your system setup and available resources, however with minute data you go generally easier on resources than with tick related data.

Comment

If you have infinite resources you can run infinite tests. NinjaTrader has no hard coded limitations.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
          If you have infinite resources you can run infinite tests. NinjaTrader has no hard coded limitations.
          Josh,

I had an issue with historical data going beyond 800,000 lines in the database. This was confirmed and duplicated by NT support staff about a year or so ago. Multiple attempts with different mixtures of tick data confirmed the limitation.

I am only posting this so someone else doesnt have to go through the same 1 month process I did, with support, to determine the limitation.
          You guys have enough to do !!

Obviously I reference 6.5. Can you confirm NT7 doesnt have this limitation? I wasnt able to get a yes or no on that possibility: I dont plan on using NT7 until development confirms it can be stable enough for trading.

Thanks,
          TJ

Comment

Trader.Jon,

There is no known limitation in this regards for NT7 since we do not store data in a database anymore. We use a repository where you can have as many data files in there as you want.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Trader.Jon View Post
              Josh,

I had an issue with historical data going beyond 800,000 lines in the database. This was confirmed and duplicated by NT support staff about a year or so ago. Multiple attempts with different mixtures of tick data confirmed the limitation.

I am only posting this so someone else doesnt have to go through the same 1 month process I did, with support, to determine the limitation.
              You guys have enough to do !!

Obviously I reference 6.5. Can you confirm NT7 doesnt have this limitation? I wasnt able to get a yes or no on that possibility: I dont plan on using NT7 until development confirms it can be stable enough for trading.

Thanks,
              TJ
              TJ,
              That's exactly the kind of info that I was looking for. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bob

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by priceisking, Today, 05:33 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post priceisking  
              Started by vivekniwas, Today, 02:15 PM
              1 response
              0 likes