Unable to create backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to create backup

I am running NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.14 and when I try to run a backup, I receive the following error message:

Unable to create NinjaTrader backup archive file: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: Offset

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

Does your backup window look like mine? Please post a picture.
    Attached Files
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes, my backup window looks like your attachment. However, I was able to fix the problem by clearing out the 2009 data from the NinjaTrader 6.5\db\data directory.

Is there a limitation of one year's worth of data in the data directory?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Rottyfan,

Thank you for the update on your issue.

There is not a limit on the amount of data you can backup, but rather infrequently when the database is large there can be corrupted data, which it sounds may have been the case within your database.
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm also getting this "Unable to create NinjaTrader backup" error message (see attached image).

But that's after I get a message regarding the "non-compileable state" of certain unnamed NinjaScript files (see second attached image).

Could one issue be related to the other?

How do I identify and fix the "non-compileable state" of these NinjaScript files?

Which issue should I attempt to fix first?

Thanks.

dwt__

PS. I tried running the backup with "Database (Historical trade and chart data)" left unchecked, assuming that this might eliminate the issue with corrupt data. However, I still got the "Unable to create NinjaTrader backup" message.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello dwt__,

Please follow the instructions below to see where the errors are coming from after compiling the indicator. This will allow you to debug the indicator/strategy or remove it from your PC. If you are wondering why you receive an error when compiling only one indicator, it is because NinjaTrader compiles all indicators and strategies- not just one.
            • Open NinjaTrader
            • From the Control Center select the Tools menu--> select the Edit NinjaScript menu item--> select Indicator
            • Select an indicator and double click on it.
            • A new window will appear and you will need to right click in the window and select Compile to compile the indicators.
            • At the bottom of the window a new section will appear were you can find the error locations.
            • From there you have the option to remove the indicator or debug it.

Let me know if this allows the backup process to complete successfully.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
              Hello dwt__,

Please follow the instructions below to see where the errors are coming from after compiling the indicator. This will allow you to debug the indicator/strategy or remove it from your PC. If you are wondering why you receive an error when compiling only one indicator, it is because NinjaTrader compiles all indicators and strategies- not just one.
              • Open NinjaTrader
              • From the Control Center select the Tools menu--> select the Edit NinjaScript menu item--> select Indicator
              • Select an indicator and double click on it.
              • A new window will appear and you will need to right click in the window and select Compile to compile the indicators.
              • At the bottom of the window a new section will appear were you can find the error locations.
              • From there you have the option to remove the indicator or debug it.
              Let me know if this allows the backup process to complete successfully.
              Using your Compile technique I was able to find and delete a .cs file that linked to a non-existent .dll. Now everything compiles without error.

I re-ran the Backup routine, checking all the boxes, and of course the "non-compileable state" error was absent. Good so far.

Then, after nearly 2 hours of backup, and with the status bar nearly showing completion the "Unable to create NinjaTrader backup" error message again displayed. (see image below)

So, we're batting .500 (and thank you for that).

What should I try next?

dwt__
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dwt__; 05-12-2010, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Hi dwt__,

I'm glad to hear that the compile error is now resolved.

What I would suggest next is that you create a series of backups of individual components (i.e: backup configuration files, then start a new backup for database and so on) until the component causing the failure is identified.

Once the component is identified, please let me know which it is and I will provide further instructions.

Comment

I ran backups of
                  • Configuration file
                  • Log and trace files
                  • NinjaScript files
                  • Chart and Market Analyzer templates
                  • Database (Historical trade... )
                  These all worked no problem.

The "Unable to create NinjaTrader backup" error message appeared near the end of the backup of Market Replay data.

Please advise on my next step.

Thanks.

dwt__

Comment

Hi dwt__,

The easiest way to go about saving the replay data would be to simply copy the My Documents > NinjaTrader 6.5 > DB > Data folder and save the copy to another location.

When replay data needs to be restored, simply move the contents of the saved DB folder back in to the same directory and restart NinjaTrader.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                      Hi dwt__,

The easiest way to go about saving the replay data would be to simply copy the My Documents > NinjaTrader 6.5 > DB > Data folder and save the copy to another location.

When replay data needs to be restored, simply move the contents of the saved DB folder back in to the same directory and restart NinjaTrader.
                      But aren't these the same data that are backed up when the Database box is checked?

FWIW, my Data folder now holds 4,035 files, in 421 folders, totalling 5.67 GB. Is there a practical limit to amount of data I can / should save?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi dwt__,

Yes, this would be the same data that is backed up by the backup utility.

Based on the amount of data you have there, this likely explains the failure of the utility on this component. Reducing the total amount may allow you to back these up through the utility, but if you intend on saving all of these files, copying the directory is your best bet.

Comment

Kyle,

Thanks much for your help, and your timely responses.

Regards.

dwt__

Comment

Hi Ben,

This is a backup type question. I am running a demo of NT7 via a broker that supports it. I do not think I will be using this brokers services, rather setting NT7 up with a DTN IQ feed for charting purposes only.

Will I need to reinstall a different vesion of NT7 when I end the demo and setup the IQ feed? Can I back up my templates and workspace or is it better practice to reset everything up from scratch?

Thanks

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post
                            Hello,

Does your backup window look like mine? Please post a picture.

Comment

Hi syxforex,

There would not be a need to reinstall NinjaTrader 7. All you will need to do is configure the new connection to IQ.

The following link will take you to a page that details the steps required for creating a connection to IQFeed.
                              Click here to take me to the IQ Feed Connection Guide

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Perr0Grande, Yesterday, 08:16 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Started by f.saeidi, Yesterday, 08:12 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes