Problem connecting to other data feeds AND using External Data Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem connecting to other data feeds AND using External Data Feed

I'm trying to connect to an External Data Feed AND a 2nd data feed for another broker. But, I'm getting an error message: "Login failed. You can not connect while having an open 'External Data Feed'..."

Is there a way around this? For instance, why can I connect to Gain Capital AND IQFeed but not Gain Capital AND External Data Feed?

Hi bluelou,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, this is as expected - it is not possible to connect to any other data provider while you are connected to the External Data Feed.

At this time, there is no way to overcome this limitation. This is, however, on my development team's list of future considerations.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Kyle,
      This is unfortunate as I was trying to modify the way tick data is received by Ninja. FYI, raw unprocessed tick data is basically worthless for quantitative trading strategies. Other quant traders have told me that this is a key reason why they never seriously considered Ninja. I was trying to change this by putting an application between Ninja and IQFeed.

Is there a way my external data feed app can be made a data provider on the level of Ninja-approved providers such a IQFeed, Gain, et al? I'll even give donate the app to Ninja and the NT community if it helps.

Thx,
      Lou

Comment

Hi Lou,

This may or may not be possible. I would suggest that you send a note to our partner development team at Sales [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com to further discuss this.

Comment

Another question:
          If I were to take a broker-provided data feed such as IB's, then customize it and connect to the feed using External Data Feed, would I be able to receive the customized data feed and execute my trades through IB? Or, would this send me back to the problem of having to connect via External Data Feed AND connect to a broker (even if the broker and data provider are the same)?

I think I'm asking about what it appears Ninja is doing with TradeStation. That is, in TS, do users connect to TS using External Data Feed and this is sufficient to both receive TS's data and to execute trades through TS's brokerage?

Comment

Hi Lou,

In the case of TradeStation connections, only data can be passed through the External Data Feed. TradeStation only allows trades to be placed within their platform.

Comment

Kyle,
              Okay. I sent the idea for my app to sales at ninjatrader dot com as you suggested. The app works, is ready to deploy and I'll give it away if necessary. It just needs to sign in as a Ninja-approved provider rather than an 'External Data Provider' so users can use it w/IQFeed and with their broker.

Please let me know if there's any interest otherwise I'll need to start developing using IB's API instead of Ninja for non-FX trades (something I'd rather not do).

Thx,
              Lou

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by giulyko00, Yesterday, 12:03 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post giulyko00  
              Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
              0 responses