Orders below last traded price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orders below last traded price

Hi....I just noticed that in SIM mode you allow a STOP order to be placed below the last traded price. Why??? It is very misleading since in live trading you cannot place such order, or is my NT not setup correctly?....thanks, zikonc

Hi,

Thank you for your note.

When placing a stop order below the last traded price I get a message stating that buy stops can not be placed below the market/sell stops can not be placed above the market. In this case a limit order would be used, and this is how NinjaTrader works in real-time and simulation.

Can you please clarify what steps you are taking that enable you to place stop orders below the market on the buy side, and stops above the market on the sell side, because this should not be supported.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi......you do allow in SIM mode to place stop orders below last traded price.....see attached picture....try grabbing a price marker a drag it well below the currently traded price (STEP 1) .....you will get fill on the next traded price (STEP 2)........if you repeat the same task in live mode you will get an error message stating that you cannot place an order below the last traded price........
      Attached Files
      Last edited by zikonc; 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for that clarification and the suggestion.

I have tested this and am able to place those kinds of orders after modifying them rather than submitting them on that side.

I will pass this along to development so that in future versions of NinjaTrader our simulated traded can more accurately reflect this aspect of order modification.

Comment

it is very disappointing to learn that your SIM engine is built with such a big mistake........I sim traded fast market for couple weeks now to learn that going live I cannot execute trade as I did while learning the market......oh well, I only paid -$170 to beta test your SIM engine........

Comment

if technically possible, I suggest revising the execution of the live engine to mimic sim engine ..... fast markets are fast these days and in this case if STOP SELL order was placed above the last traded price live engine should execute it as a MARKET SELL order as the best available order for that instance ....... alternatively I can just click on SELL MARKET button and be done with it .... and you loose $50/month subscription.......just my 2c

Comment

Hi zikonc,

Thank you for that information.

I have continued testing this using NinjaTrader 7 and when I modify a stop order placed above the market the order type is changed to reflect the types of orders that are acceptable below the market.

So if I place a Stop Limit order above the market and then modify it to be below the market it will become a limit order as stops are not accepted below the market.

When modifying orders in this manner you are changing the order type as well as the price. This is acceptable with live trades so long as your broker supports price and order type modification.

Again these tests were with NinjaTrader 7 rather than 6.5. So based on your suggestion this is how it functions with NinjaTrader 7.

Comment

Thanks for the reply......I guess it may be the end of work day for me so I am not sure I processed your explanation of what was tested in NT7......basically, can I enter the live market as I've shown in the post #3 (please see the video as well, attached as .zip file)......my broker is Mirus......I can check with them also once I get confirmation from you what is supported in NT......
                Last edited by zikonc; 04-28-2010, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hi,

This type of order manipulation, say placing a Stop Market above the market then moving below should work. What happens in NinjaTrader with the changed order is that the Stop Market above the market becomes a Market order below and should be filled immediately.

So, NinjaTrader is changing the order type as well as the price of any order that is modified as such.

The caveat here is that your broker may not allow you to modify order type of pending orders, which would cause that issue.

I should clarify that I tested this with NinjaTrader 7.

Comment

Thanks....it sounds I should dive in to NT7 world......but before I spend time converting workspace and indicators do you mind confirming again that you found this order modification to work in NT7 but not in NT6.5.

ie,

NT6.5 sim => OK
                    NT6.5 live => n/g

NT7 sim => OK
                    NT7 live => OK

???

....if so, I'll give Mirus a call to find out what can/cannot be done on their end......
                    Last edited by zikonc; 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

zikonc,

I continued testing this on my end with 6.5 and see the same behavior as I do with NinjaTrader 7.

Stop Limit orders modified from above to below become limit orders. So, if your broker enables order type and price modification of pending orders it should be doable with NinjaTrader 6.5, as well.

Comment

Hello.....I just got of the phone with Mirus and I was told that Mirus does not allow this sort of order modification .... this information was passed by on-staff developer......so it is not Ninja software, not Exchange, not Dorman, (I also spoke with someone in Dorman on this issue just in case).....but MIRUS.....I was told by Dorman that Mirus=Ninja so now I ask again why allow the use of order execution feature in sim mode that is not supported in live mode ???? .....

maybe only MIRUS can scalp (you) ........you cannot scalp ....... or, from food chain point of view they eat first or at least before you........this is a very serious issue where a broker is playing its customers in order to gain personal advantage .....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

This is what I expected. NinjaTrader does not place limitations on how you can place orders. Some brokers allow this type of order modification, but Mirus does not. So when you try doing that live you receive an error message.

When doing this with sim trading you do not receive an error message because NinjaTrader does enable you trade this manner because not all brokers prevent this order type.

Comment

When I sim trade through Mirus using Ninja Trader my intention is to simulate live trading environment with Mirus as a broker and Ninja as a trading platform ....... let's not separate two apart ......... Mirus ID was used to establish sim and live connection ...... the same ID must then control what features of Ninja are enabled ..... otherwise what is the point of sim trading engine???? ........

Comment

Hello zikonc,

When trading in simulation, you will trade the NinjaTrader sim101 account, which does not have the limitation that the Mirus live account has. Using the same ID (Zen-Fire connection) is not related.

We support other connectivity providers besides Mirus/Zen-Fire that allow such order modifications, so it is allowed in the NinjaTrader sim101 account as well.

NinjaTrader and Mirus is not the same. Mirus Futures is one of our supported broker partners.
                              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by f.saeidi, Today, 12:14 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post f.saeidi  
                              Started by Russ Moreland, Today, 12:54 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes