monthly pivot points are different on different time frame chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

monthly pivot points are different on different time frame chart

I have monthly pivot points indicator on my daily chart. However, when I go to minute chart, the monthly pivot points are different to those on daily chart.

How is that possible, any suggestion?

I think it is because the "day" on your daily bars is set by the data provider and the "day" on your minute charts is set by your session times. These to "day" definitions likely don't have the same time cutoffs. Pivots are exact anyway, so don't worry about it. Every signal data feed will produce different pivots because they all have slightly different data. Pivots should be used as very rough guidelines....if you use them at all.

Comment

Please see the following link as well, which provides information on how our Pivots indicator is calculated.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Using Nyse stock MO as example, I found out that on the daily chart, the monthly pivot points change at the second trading day of each month. And monthly pivot points of the first trading day are as same as those of last month. It seems when computing monthly pivot points, the open, high, low, close prices of the first trading day of this month are treated as those prices of the "last day" of last month, which means at least the close price for computing monthly pivot points is wrong.

I don't know if you guys have observed this and any suggestion of correction?

Comment

randomwalker, which NT version are you using right now as you observe this?
          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Go here:

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
              randomwalker, which NT version are you using right now as you observe this?
              I am using 6.5.

Comment

Hi randomwalker,

1.) Which version are you running specifically - for example, the current version is 6.5.1000.15. Which version are you using?

2.) Which data provider are you using with NinjaTrader?
                KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by mountainclimber View Post
                  Thanks for your response. I know the way Ninja computes pivot points. However, the issue here is that monthly pivot points on the daily chart are computed based on high, low, close of the time period from the second trading day of last month to the second trading day of this month while monthly pivot points on the miunte chart are computed based on high,low,close of the time period from the first trading day of last month to the last trading day of last month.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                    Hi randomwalker,

1.) Which version are you running specifically - for example, the current version is 6.5.1000.15. Which version are you using?

2.) Which data provider are you using with NinjaTrader?

I am using 6.5.1000.15. Data provider is Esignal.

Comment

Hi randomwalker,

Can you provide me with an image of your chart?

Also, can you clarify this for me - you are using the Pivots indicator that is included with NinjaTrader or a custom indicator named 'MonthlyPivots'?
                      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                        Hi randomwalker,

Can you provide me with an image of your chart?

Also, can you clarify this for me - you are using the Pivots indicator that is included with NinjaTrader or a custom indicator named 'MonthlyPivots'?
                        The pivots indicator I am using is that included with Ninja Trader, not a custom one.

The attchments are the chart of MO at 2010 03 31, 04 01, and 04 05. From data box, you can see that the 03 31 and 04 01 have same pivots values, while 04 05 pivots values are different than those at 04 01.

And I tried to compute April's pivots using high and low of March,but close of 04 01(not the close of March) and I found out that the results are as same as those in 04 05 data box.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello randomwalker,

Unfortunately this is a bug in version 6.5; it has been fixed as per NinjaTrader 7. Please see the forum thread at the link below that reports the same issue.

You can download and install NinjaTrader 7 beta at the following link.
                          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by f.saeidi, Today, 11:02 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                          Started by geotrades1, Today, 10:02 AM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes