Very slow exection in V7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very slow exection in V7

By adding a bar series to a strategy and referencing the added series with an indicator made the strategy run 100x slower? Was this expected?

Situation::
    To a chart with a 5 min data bar I added a strategy that had a 60 min bar of the same symbol and used the 60 min bar with an indicator. Before adding the 60 min bar the strategy ran in 1 sec on 25 days of data. After adding the 60 min bar and indicator reference it the strategy ran in 3 min.

On a strategy that only used one data bar and the indicator it runs in 1 sec so it was not the indicator that caused the problem.

Hi GuyFB,

Did you perhaps mean that you created an indicator then referenced it with a strategy?

Can you please clarify the process so that I can test/evaluate this on my end.
    TimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Tim,
      Yes, But I think you could use almost any indicator. I did use one I have created and it process the bar data.
      1) Ran Strategy without adding bar data. Ran 1 sec
      2) Added to strategy:
      Add(PeriodType.Minute,60);

If (barsInProgress == 0)
      {
      Processing that was there on first run
      }
      else
      {
      Access indicator with BarsArray[1] as input
      }
      Run time is now 4 min.

This is place on a chart with 5 min bars

Have code if you need it.

Comment

Hi GuyFB,

Can you please provide the relevant code snippets you are using, so that I can test this on my end.

Comment

Tim,
          The attached Strategy uses the three indicators that are attached. Load the strategy on a 60 min chart. It will add a 10 min bar for that data.

The indicators, TrendTrange and PMAInd are called twice. Once for the 60 min data and also for the 10 min data. If I run the two on just 10 min or 60 min in a strategy that does not use a second bar set the execution is 1 sec.

In this case where both are use together the time is 4-5 min. I was testing on a chart with 20 days of 60 min bars.

Your help will be appreciated.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi GuyFB,

I am willing to briefly test this on my end to see if I am able to reproduce the scenario you mentioned. However, this did not compile correctly, it seems the strategy is calling on "TrendRange"....and "RangeTrend" is the attached indicator. A simple rename did not correct errors.

While I won't be able to debug this for you, if you are able to break it down in to smaller, simple examples, I can offer you advice based on that.

Comment

Woops! picked up the wrong one. Here it is. Lets see if you can spot something with this.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi GuyFB,

I tried this on my end and it loaded it just over 2 minutes.

Be sure to check your code for any recursive methods used.

Also try this without adding the extra time frames, and without plotting the extra panels.

Comment

Tim,
                  Two min. is a life time when trying to enter/Exit a market.

I have now found my problem but I need a bit of help understanding calls to indicators when they are called from a strategy that has Added Bar Series.

When I call the indicator without the Add it is executed once for each bar from the chart with CurrentBar = 0.

When I call the indicator WITH the Added Bar Series and reference the added series it is called for each bar in the chart. However the call is a loop that starts with CurrentBar = 0 pointing to the first added bar then continues calling the indicator until CurrentBar equal the look back period. Then the BarsInProgress = 0 routine is executed and the loop begins again passing CurrentBar = 0 up to the present.

So for each bar on the chart the indicator that references the Added data is called (LookbackPeriod + n Factorial) times where n is the currentbar of the chart.

Obviously the indicator need only execute for the last current bar but How do I tell it to do so? Why is this not done in other indicators? What is the logic in calling the indicator so many time?

I can send you a printout showing the looping process if this is not clear.

Comment

Hi GuyFB,

Could you please provide the relevant, simple snippet(s) of how you call the indicator, where you suspect it is calling it multiple times.

Comment

It was a NJ V7 problem

Tim,
                      I found what was causing multiple loops of the call indicator from a strategy when you add Bars with a different time frame to the strategy.

The indicator had these two statements in it. I commented them out and it works fine now. I think there is a problem with V7 or some comment should be made in the documentation to warn people not the use this combination.

PriceTypeSupported = true;
                      PriceType = PriceType.Median;
                      Guy

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post jaybedreamin  
                      Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM