Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Pivot Indicator in 6.5

I´m a bit confused how it works.

1. Do I have to manually fill in the close, high, low or do it calculate that by itself for the latest session? Right now I´ve added it for ES, didn´t type in anything and it draws the PP-1117.83, S1-1066.92, R1-1179.67 all by itself. Saturday, may 8th, 2010.

2. Are the session break lines the same for everyone who has for example ES loaded with zen-fire as datafeed, or do the timezone on my computer clock have anything to do with it?
    Last edited by highasakite; 05-08-2010, 02:32 PM.

Hello,

First, this link will probably help you a lot:

1- No, review that link for more details, but you have the option to enter the values or you can have it calc. it via your chart/session data.

2- Again the link will be helpful, but the session begins and ends times for 6.5 are set by double clicking the chart> session ends/begins. And yes, they work off your PC clock, so adjust your PC clock and restart NT to get the chart to adjust.

Let me know if that was not clear. I am happy to help.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ben, this helped a lot.

Comment

One more thing buggers me... when setting my computer clock to Central Time, and changing the session break lines to begin at 15.30 and close at 15.15 (which should be the correct times for ES) the session break lines appears at 16.00 when using 60m and 30m bars, but are the the correct place when using intervals lower than this.

Comment

Hello,

Are you using NT7?

Comment

No, the latest v6.5.

Comment

Hello,

This is expected since you are not useing an interval that is in 15 minute incriments like your session settings. You need to pick something like 12:30 and 12:00 on a 30 min. bar.

Comment

Thanks again Ben,

Right now I´m checking the values of my pivots. Is the default pivot indicator corresponding to the "classic" values? I´m comparing with the numbers found on this site: http://www.mypivots.com/dn/?symbol=284

But on my chart todays pp is appx 1150 while the classic should be 1146.67. Can anyone explain this? See attached pic.

Still I´m using Central Time on my computer clock, and have the session break points at open 15.30 and close 15.15.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello highasakite,

Please see the link below for information on how our Pivots indicator is calculated.
                  JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As far as I know, the pivots indicator of NT 6.5. has never worked correctly in CalcFromIntradayData mode. Independent from the session chosen under chart properties, it will use a close at 12 PM (midnight) of your local time. It therefore calculates false pivots. The reason for this is that NT 6.5. does not collect the information about the correct closing time for each instrument, as this is not part of the master data for each instrument. Also NT 6.5. was built with .NET 2.0, which has limited time conversion capabilities.

So, if you want correct pivots for ES, these are your options:

(1) Set pivots indicator to DailyBars mode and it will calculate pivots from daily data. This only works, if you actually have daily data, so for example with Zenfire this will not help, as the NT pivots indicator will use intraday data, if no daily data is available. So you are back to case one.

(2) Use the SessionPivots indicator, which you can find here:

You can enter the missing information on session times via indicator dialogue for a number of futures contracts, and it will then display correct pivots in CalcFromIntradayData mode.

(3) Switch to NT7. NT has a session manager and the pivots indicator will calculate correct pivots by using the session specified under instrument settings or (if different) chart settings.

Originally posted by highasakite View Post
                    Thanks again Ben,

Right now I´m checking the values of my pivots. Is the default pivot indicator corresponding to the "classic" values? I´m comparing with the numbers found on this site: http://www.mypivots.com/dn/?symbol=284

But on my chart todays pp is appx 1150 while the classic should be 1146.67. Can anyone explain this? See attached pic.

Still I´m using Central Time on my computer clock, and have the session break points at open 15.30 and close 15.15.

Comment

Thanks, both! Very useful information.

Comment

why does 'pivots points enhanced' indicator not draw on chart?

Please see attached screenshot, NT6.5. As you can see the indicator shows on the top of the chart in the heading, but does not draw. Thanks for your attention.

Reggy
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Reggy,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please clarify which data provider you are using for that forex data.
                          Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
                            Hi Reggy,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please clarify which data provider you are using for that forex data.

GAIN demo. By the way, I have had no problem with the pivot enhanced indicator in NT7.0

Comment

Hello Reggy,

Using enhanced pivot points is not currently supported on Range bars.

Please test using the standard NT indicator Pivots.
                              Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by samish18, Today, 01:01 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post samish18  
                              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:56 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes