Installing NT on a Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing NT on a Mac

I have been told by NT that it can be installed and run on a Mac OSX using one of the following:

• Parallels Desktop for Mac
    • VMware Fusion
    • Apple Boot Camp

Does anyone here run on a Mac and can you tell me your experience with it?

Thanks,
    Linda

Hello,

Thank you for your first forum post.

It will be best if you head on over to the following forum thread where this discussion is already in progress.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Thanks, Brett. I did try searching for a thread on this topic before I posted, but didn't find it.

Seems running NT on a Mac is more trouble than its worth.

Comment

No problem.

From what I can tell and past experience the main thing that has to be done to allow NinjaTrader to run on a mac is to disable folder sharing.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Lingall,

I run NT6.5 and NT7 via bootcamp no problems at all. I used to run it via VMWare Fusion but found splitting the processing power between Mac and Windows silly when I was only working in NT.

Shannon

Comment

Hello Billll6,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

Folder sharing would be where you have one documents folder that can be read even when using either operating system. (Mac or Windows).

We support NinjaTrader running on Windows OS only, but hopefully you can receive some input from our users on this.

See here for our install guide including the minimum system requirements.
            Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi billllll6,

NinjaTrader is a MS Windows based application and does not support the Mac OS natively however, as you mentioned before, it can be run within a Mac environment through VMware Fusion

Although we do not guarantee that NinjaTrader will run as designed, we have run in-house tests on the above listed applications and have not run into any known issues.

We will make every effort to offer support for NinjaTrader running on VMware, however, if an items becomes MAC or VMware specific, it is possible that the support will be outside the scope we can offer.

Please see the forum thread below for more information from other Mac users.
              TimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Use Bootcamp to run NT on Mac.

I have been running NT on a MAC for about 9 months---running Bootcamp--and XP--I have run both NT6.5 and NT7Beta--although I don't use 7Beta because I require 6.5 to run some 3rd party indicators....

It is the most stable of all my XP/Vista/W7 PC's (thanks to Apple not Microsoft or NT)---I have yet to have any issues.....none.

The only problem I have had-is really not a problem-but something to think about ahead of time--and that is hard drive space--be sure to allocate enough for some growth.

Since Bootcamp comes with the Apple OS--I would recommend that you try this approach first--before VMware or other similar emulation software-because it just stands to reason that running as a true XP machine is more stable than software emulation to do the same.

For stability and speed--seems like XP is the OS of choice....until OS7 matures a bit...
                Jim-Boulder
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Elephant Tracks

Comment

getting nt7 running on the mac justs need to create a little demand here is the following forum post

Comment

Originally posted by Shansen View Post
                    Lingall,

I run NT6.5 and NT7 via bootcamp no problems at all. I used to run it via VMWare Fusion but found splitting the processing power between Mac and Windows silly when I was only working in NT.

Shannon
                    Hi Shannon, I have been exploring moving to a Mac Book Pro platform to run NT7 and NT8 via VMWare Fusion probably, but won't rule out Boot Camp. The plan is to get another 27" monitor as well, and then run both. I am not sure if you ever ran this on a Windows intel box before, but here goes anyway:

QUESTIONS:
                    1) Given Boot Camp: Did the MAC outperform Windows?
                    2) Any instances when the market is really busy and NT did not keep up with the charts/strategies you run?
                    3) Boot Camp vs Fusion - what speed penalty was there on Fusion?
                    4) Have you tried NT8 yet?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Tim View Post

Please see the forum thread below for more information from other Mac users.
                      http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...&highlight=mac
                      HI. When going to this link, I get:

Not Found

The requested URL /...&highlight=mac was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Please advise if it has moved.

Comment

Hi DaFish,

This thread is nearly 5 years old, so the likelyhood of the poster you quoted answering this post is low. If you're interested in NT7/NT8 experiences under VMWare Fusion, you are more likely to receive a reply by posting a new thread under the beta section of the forum. I'm not sure what that link was supposed to be, but it has since moved and likely does not exist anymore.

I can say that many users have experienced positive results using VMWare Fusion on NT7, though testing hasn't really been done with NT8. Please ensure to share your experience on the beta section of the forum should you choose to try this. The following VM configuration will allow NT7 to run in such an environment:

1. Start VMWare and select your virtual machine
                        2. Press the "Settings" button on the bottom
                        3. Under "System Settings", select "Sharing"
                        4. Uncheck "Documents" from the "Mirrored Folders" list
                        5. Close the "Settings" window and start the virtual machine
                        <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by DaFish View Post
                          Hi Shannon, I have been exploring moving to a Mac Book Pro platform to run NT7 and NT8 via VMWare Fusion probably, but won't rule out Boot Camp. The plan is to get another 27" monitor as well, and then run both. I am not sure if you ever ran this on a Windows intel box before, but here goes anyway:

QUESTIONS:
                          1) Given Boot Camp: Did the MAC outperform Windows?
                          2) Any instances when the market is really busy and NT did not keep up with the charts/strategies you run?
                          3) Boot Camp vs Fusion - what speed penalty was there on Fusion?
                          4) Have you tried NT8 yet?

Thanks in advance.
                          Hello, DaFish!
                          Have you thought about Wine as an option?
                          Here are threads discussing about Ninja, Wine and Linux:

Should not be different on a Mac.

Only posts from 2015 matter.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by llanqui, Yesterday, 03:51 PM
                          6 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                          Started by tradingnasdaqprueba, Today, 03:42 AM
                          8 responses