chart stops updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chart stops updating

Twice this morning on different charts I have experienced one of 4 running charts stopping updating. All of the other charts continue as normal as do the 2 domes I have open. The first was a 3350 vol chart of ES and the 2nd was a 1350 vol chart of the ES. If I close and reload the chart it operates as expected but this action is somewhat concerting to say the least. Any ideas on what I should do to avoid this??
    Dean

- please make sure you are on latest 6.0.1000.4
    - please double check your session begin/end settings are accurate
    - which provider is this?
    - which instrument are these?
    - is there anything funny in the logs?

Comment

I had the same problem this morning with ES09-07 Charts and T&S where they were not updating. All other futures charts were updating YM, FDAX, ZB, QM...

Initially connected to IB then went to Open Tick. tried to open a new chart, reloaded historical data and both actions created no results. Finally disconnected both Open Tick and IB then reconnected with IB. Once I did that the ES chart started again.

- I am on latest 6.0.1000.4
      - session begin/end settings are accurate 12:00am to 12:00am
      - occurred with IB and Open Tick
      - ES 09-07 only?
      - Log shows IB "Max number of tickers has been reached 101" within 7 seconds of connecting. Then there are warning messages for no historical data on YM (for a YM volume chart). However there were no messages for the same ES volume chart

Comment

Hi Drew:

Thank you for your post.

1. Open Tick is a new datafeed vendor for us and we are still working with them to prevent data issues such as charts stopping.

As per the ES 09-07 contract, there are a few things you can check.

Click on the Instrument drop down on the chart and go to Format Data Series, What is the last date listed in the Format Data Series window?

When you launched NT, did you have an ES chart already opened and then connected to OT and IB or did you open this chart brand new after launching NT?

2. As per IB, "Max number of tickers has been reached 101", this message can be reported if you have multiple applications connecting to the IB api.
        IB does not offer historical data for tick/volume charts. Your ES chart must have had volume being displayed from Open Tick and not IB and therefore no error message.
        More information about historical data with NT can be found here:

We take these connectivity/data issues very seriously and would be happy to test any re-producible scenario. If you can re-produce, please provide exacts steps and I would be happy to further test on my pc.

Regards,
        Last edited by NinjaTraderEcosystem_Ryan; 08-15-2007, 08:35 AM.
        RyanNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Happend again

I have not been back on this issue because it had not happened again until this AM I am on the latest version of NT. My provider is Zen Fire and Open Tick. I had two charts of the ES Sept 07 running. a 1350 vol and a 3350 vol. The 1350 stopped updating and the 3350 continued as normal there were no problems shown in the Log. Very perplexing.
          I checked the date of the Dormat date series box and it is today.
          I have Tradestation running and two small SR programs Smart Clock and Cute reminders. In NT I have 2 charts as per above and 2 domes running.
          Hmmmmmm. What to do ? Strange
          Thanks
          Dean

Comment

Hi Dean:

Thank you for your note.

Try changing between different intervals or instruments within the Volume chart that is not updating.

For example, try changing from the ES 09-07 contract to the ER2 09-07 contract, does this chart now run real time data?

If yes, please then switch back to the ES 09-07 contract.

Does the chart now begin to chart real time data again, as expected?

Regards,
            RyanNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chart stop

This morning I have had 2 instances of charts stopping. I am running NT with Zen Fire as primary data feed and onetick as secondary. The 1st stopage I was also running TS but not using TS feed for NT, only for TS. I tried changing instruments in NT as suggested. No change. Then I closed TS and again tried changing instruments. Chart became active.

2nd time not running TS running 4 NT charts 2 ER@ and 2 ES. One ES stops and changing instrument to several different minis does nothing. Very perplexing. And when I am trying to trade can be disaster.
              Thanks
              Dean

Comment

More

Oh, forgot to mention. I have audio alerts in the chart that stops and those continue to play. ie Gives alerts that are correct for data not shown on the chart. So the data is processing just not updating the screen.
                Wierd!!

Comment

Charting

Hello Dean,

Thank you for your post.

Please connect to OpenTick and then your Zen - Fire data feed source. Please let me know if this makes a difference in the data coming in.

Thanks,

Comment

Additional input on Chart data update issue

Just some more input on this issue which is causing me continued problems at random times. This problem may somehow be associated with using multiple data feeds. Like deanldavis, I have been using open tick and for a while Zen fire. I often used Zen Fire/Open Tick to initially load data and for then would switch back to IB. my trial for Zen fire expired and now I use open tick to load historical data then use IB for the feed. The problem happens specifically when I bring NT up after having been shut down overnight. ES seems most problematic and will not load data on initial startup from either data feed. Since it is random I have not done a scientific study to see if the problem only happens when I do my initial connection to Open Tick.

However, to Chris's question, I am would venture that 80% of the time I am connecting to Open Tick first. However there are times when I hope IB will load all my overnight data without reaching limits and I try IB first. Then when IB throws up, I go to Open Tick...

The other piece of information that may help is that I use volume charts for the ES and YM which sometimes are the only charts that do not update. Although usually it is a whole instrument that gets stuck. It is also some random event whether T&S stops updating as well as the other charts for the instrument.

Another thought is that ES is a more active instrument at night when I disconnect/shutdown. Don't know how your code is structured... just wondering if there may be incomplete cleanup on disconnect if shut down in mid stream that makes it difficult to reload the instrument?

Fortunately still paper trading... hoping we can figure this out so that when I go live I can funnel all my $$$ to NT rather than someone else.
                    Last edited by Drew; 08-18-2007, 07:41 AM. Reason: More Info

Comment

Thanks for your input.

>> just wondering if there may be incomplete cleanup on disconnect
                      I do not see a potential for this, unless the feed API software (here OpenTick) would leave a connection somehow "unclosed". However, we have no notion of this so far.

I would not know what causes the trouble you're experiencing.

Here is what I suggest:
                      Please try to nail the trouble down by a reproducible scenario. It would be great if you then could provide us a step-by-step guidance in order to understand what's going on.

Also: I suggest focusing on T&S only (no charts), since charts introduce more complexity to a scenario.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Charting stops

So that I am sure what you are asking. You want me to
                        run T&S windows but not charts? And precisly what do you want on the issue of "step by step"? Is there anything that I could forward that might be of assistance?? I am feeling that one of my indicators may contain a hairball. The window in which the chart is contained continues to receive and process price data, I know this because the audio alert contained in that chart continue to sound based on current data, not there when the chart drawing stopped. The other chart of the same instrument continues to draw normally but of a different volume count and the dome and control center continue to display new data arriving from the data source.

I am happy to try anything that you may suggest, just be a bit more spacific please.
                        Dean

Comment

>> The other chart of the same instrument continues to draw normally but of a different volume count and the dome and control center continue to display new data arriving from the data source.
                          If you still see data coming in on e.g. the control center but the chart is not updating for that instrument, then this is not a data stream issue but a chart issue.

In this case I suggest you right click on the affected chart->Format data series. "Last date" should hold the current date, no?

Also: checking the logs might hold some info if something is wrong with you custom indicators.

Comment

I'm on latest version
                            eSignal data with IB as broker
                            FESX 09-07 is the symbol but all Eurex are affected.

I open NT before market opens. All data feeds are connected and green.

Market opens and charts do not update

I close NT and reopen, sometimes resolved. Mostly I have to recreate charts and reload templates.

This is a real problem as trades on open are missed. I don't see you guys really addressing this as there are many posts, some be me, and the problem is still there and unacknowledged.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                            - please make sure you are on latest 6.0.1000.4
                            - please double check your session begin/end settings are accurate
                            - which provider is this?
                            - which instrument are these?
                            - is there anything funny in the logs?

Comment

Please proceed as per below:
                              >> I suggest you right click on the affected chart->Format data series. "Last date" should hold the current date, no?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by f.saeidi, Today, 05:56 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Jltarrau  
                              Started by Jltarrau, Today, 05:57 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes