X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Loss and Take profits orders in real time

Good morning.

I have some questions:

If I am operating the E-minis in swing, and I have opened an operation, the operation is in the systems of the broker.

What about the stop loss and take profits orders?

These orders are also on the broker systems althought not yet executed?

If I turn off the computer, the orders are in the boker systems?

The stop loss and take profits orders are executed when they are touched althought NT is offline?

If I have opened a trade with stop loss and take profits orders, and then, my internet conection is off, what happens with these orders? They are on the Broker systems? They are executed when they are touched?

Thank you.

Hi,

It depends who your broker is. See here for more info:

In addition, NinjaTrader needs to be connected to receive updates. If you shut down your computer, we can not receive any updates. Therefore we don't recommend to shut down your computer while having orders working.
    Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Vincent.

Tnak you for your response.

When I start on real time, I'm work with MirusFutures and NinjaTrader with Zen-Fire.

In the list of your post appear Zen-Fire as follow:

Zen-Fire
      Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange. If the exchange does not support a specific order type, the order will be active on the Zen-Fire servers.
      OCO (One Cancels Other) functionality is simulated on your local PC.

I Understand that if my computer is turned off, NinjaTrader has no way to comunicate with the Broker or data Provider, and the orders were in a state "Accepted" or "Working" continue "live" on the broker, and when I turn on my computer and start NinjaTrader this is updated.

Is this right?

Zen-Fire is a Broker or only a data Provider?

Thnaks.

Comment

Helo Federico,

Correct, if the orders have an 'Accepted' or 'Working' status, they reside at the broker or exchange. If NinjaTrader is closed, these orders are still alive and will execute.

However, please note that OCO functionality is simulated on your PC. So if you have two ATM orders (which are OCO) working and you close NinjaTrader, the cancellation of the ATM order once the other one is filled will not occur. You will need to have NinjaTrader running and connected for OCO functionality to trigger. This can result in an unexpected position.

For example, you have a short position with 2 ATM orders (stop loss & profit target). You close NinjaTrader and once you restart it and get re-connected, you are in a long position. This because both ATM orders were filled - one to close the short position and the other that caused the unexpected long position.

Zen-Fire is not a broker, but a connectivity provider that will provide data and allow you to trade your live account at your broker.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So there's no true way to be safe with a stop loss then, right? In other words, if I lost my internet connection or computer crashes, I could lose pretty much everything?

Comment

Hi JOSHDANCE.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

From the NinjaTrader_Jason post :

Correct, if the orders have an 'Accepted' or 'Working' status, they reside at the broker or exchange. If NinjaTrader is closed, these orders are still alive and will execute.

With Zen-Fire:

Visit this link: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/v...7076#post27076

Stop orders has an "Accepted" status and Limit orders have a "Working" status. That's means if you open a long position, for example, with a sell stop order and a sell limit order for target profits, both stop order and limit order reside at the broker or exchange and if your internet connection or computer crashes, they are still alive and will execute, however, if the sell limit order is execute and take your profits, the stop order is still active and there is no way to close stop order at less you call your broker to close this. If your entry goes against you, the máximum loss that you will have will be your stop order. żIs right Jason?

Comment

Happy New Year!

@JoshDance,
              If your stop loss order receives an 'Accepted' or 'Working' status, it resides at the broker/exchange. So if your PC crashes, your stop loss order is still active.

@Frederico,
              As per the scenario you describe, you can end up in an unexpected short position. The limit order closed your long position, however the stop orders was not cancelled. The stop order could execute and put you in a short position.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                Happy New Year!

@JoshDance,
                If your stop loss order receives an 'Accepted' or 'Working' status, it resides at the broker/exchange. So if your PC crashes, your stop loss order is still active.

@Frederico,
                As per the scenario you describe, you can end up in an unexpected short position. The limit order closed your long position, however the stop orders was not cancelled. The stop order could execute and put you in a short position.
                Thank you Jason--so I need my platform running for the OCO simulation to work basically... got it, thanks!

Comment

Yes, that is correct.

You are welcome. Have a nice day!

Comment

Hi Vincent,
                    The link you posted there regarding Broker supported does not lead anywhere, Do you have anything more up to date...... my broker is AMP Futures .
                    Thanks.
                    Nico.

Comment

Hello Nico,

Please see the link below .
                      Note: This information is relevant for NinjaTrader 7 only. For NinjaTrader 8, please click here (https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/where_do_your_orders_reside_.htm). CQG Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange. If the exchange does not support a specific order type, the

Comment

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the link....

Nico.

Comment

Hello.

From the link:

CQG
                          Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange. If the exchange does not support a specific order type, the order will be active on the CQG servers.

I'm using ATM strategy to place orders, when an order is trigered, for example, a buy stop limit order, then automatically place a limit order (target) and a stop order, these orders appears on the orders tab as follows: Limit order as working and stop order as Acepted. That's mean that these orders are on the exchange?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello Frederico,

That is correct - the orders reside at the broker/exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by Federico View Post
                              Hello.

From the link:

CQG
                              Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange. If the exchange does not support a specific order type, the order will be active on the CQG servers.

I'm using ATM strategy to place orders, when an order is trigered, for example, a buy stop limit order, then automatically place a limit order (target) and a stop order, these orders appears on the orders tab as follows: Limit order as working and stop order as Acepted. That's mean that these orders are on the exchange?

Thanks.
                              Just remember that UNLESS your PC and NT are on at the time that your trade exits, the companion OCO order at the exchange will NOT be cancelled. That is what they mean when they say that OCO is simulated on your PC.

IOW, if you lose your internet connection, take some action, by calling the broker, and doing something.
                              Last edited by koganam; 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                              Started by kulwinder73, Today, 10:31 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes