Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Basic Quantitative Trading Systems

Hi Forum Members

Hopefully this is the right place to start. If not please let me know where to post this question.

I was reading a lot lately about Quantitative Trading Systems that involve system design, back testing and validation. It is very similar to simply building and testing a profitable trading system. In fact, my understanding is that both terms are used interchangeably. Quantitative trading systems can also be based on algorithms. While some systems are automated, some are not. Whether a system is automated or not is not important to me right now.

I would like to know where I can locate information on building Quantitative Trading Systems from scratch. I own a book called Quantitative Trading Systems by Howard Bandy that is a very sophisticated and detailed book on designing and testing Quantitative Systems. However at my level of programming experience and general system design, the book is a bit over my head. I would recommend it to anyone as you begin to pick up on the books teachings as you gain knowledge. I prefer to back up a bit and start at a more basic level.

What I am looking for is a link, web site or other source that explains complete basic system design and begins with the concepts of designing, building and back testing a complete trading system from scratch utilizing all concepts and procedures.
    I have attended Ninjatrader’s online class titled, ‘Automated Strategy Development Level 1’ and have found it to be very helpful.
    I am currently using Ninjatrader and I am also studying C# programming
    Designing a system that utilizes a few indicators and then back testing is most likely the most basic of system designs and it’s certainly a good place to start but I am curious about Quantitative Trading System Design. I've been reading that there is a whole universe of knowledge out there that teaches the design and implementation of these trading models.

Can anyone please recommend a link or web site that teaches the design of Quantitative Trading Models and/or complete system design?

If anyone has Howard Bandy’s book, titled, ‘Quantitative Trading Systems’ you’ll know what type of trading model and/or method I am seeking to build. Also a simply search in Google under ‘Quantitative trading Systems or Quantitative Trading Strategies will result in other books but nothing as far as a -starter guide- or -how to- web site to get me learning.

Thank you for your time

Hello,

Thank you for your forum post.

There is no need to make duplicate forum posts.

Other forum users may be able to assist with this.However, The only thing I can recommend you do is take a look at are 3rd party educational partners that would be able to assist with this.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/pa..._education.htm

There may be others on the list this is simply our newest education partner thay may be able to assist you with this.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Hi Helicopter,
      I too have Howards' two books including Quantitative Trading Systems and own amibroker as well as other platforms and understand your concerns about Howards books being a little over your head at first I felt the same.
      At the moment I am designing and simulating Automated strategies through Ninja
      I did a course which was provided by a ninja education partner who was only added last week who is based in Australia (TradeCoach).
      Their Automated course teaches design and implementation of Strategies using Ninja Trader using the Strategy wizard (they don't teach basic code ATM).
      This is the only course that I have found that teaches how to simply design systems without the need for programming skills.
      Big Mikes Forum and Trading Blog also have good information on System development and Ninja.
      IMO ninja is unbeatable in that you can design great systems using the Strategy wizard for little or no cost (free fx feed) and you can easily progress into coding from there, great flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Helicopter View Post
        ... Can anyone please recommend a link or web site that teaches the design of Quantitative Trading Models and/or complete system design? ...
        Quantitative investment and trading ideas, research, and analysis.

Comment

Hi waza1960

I appreciate the feedback. Quantitative trading system or any type of system is really what I'm looking to build. Yes.. I have used NinjaTraders strategy builder wizard and found it to very user friendly and powerful.

I also own Amibroker and find it to be a very powerful program as well. I am using NinjTrader because the support is excellent (online classes and such) and their strategy wizard is exactly what I'm looking for to get me up to speed.

I am utilizing Howard Bandy's excellent book in my system design as he has a very thought out plan for designing a proper and complete system. Some of the topics are completely foreign to me but I can see where he is going with most of it. I’m still learning the programming aspect and simply wanted to bounce my initial question off some members and see if anyone had other info.

Perhaps we can create a group of traders whose primary interests are system design and bounce ideas around. There is probably a place on this forum for that. I’ll have to investigate.

Thank you for your time.
          Last edited by Helicopter; 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Another Trader

Thanks for the link. I actually ran across this web site awhile ago but looked at it again (per your link).

It offers ideas and thoughts. I'll have to include this in my list of sites for system design.

Thank you

Comment

waza1960

Thanks for the link on 'Big Mike's Trading Blog'. This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I appreciate the help.
              Last edited by Helicopter; 05-20-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Members

Here is an interesting link I stumbled upon....

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                Started by bmartz, Today, 09:30 AM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post bltdavid