X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM Server + NT?

NT support or helpful NT user,

Could you please give me some advice?

I’m considering using a Virtual machine to run a live version of NT, while I reserve another machine for development and another for backtesting.

I’m wondering what the experience is with VMware Server (http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/d...are_server/2_0) ? I’m new to using VMware in my office and I’m a little confused by the pricing structure. They also appear to offer a product which is VMware Workstation which is priced at about USD $200.

VM seem to have a free product which appears to build you a virtual layer to install an OS on, which I would install XP Pro to run NT live against the market.

Have I missed something here? Wouldn’t VMware Server do the trick for running NT live against the market?

Thanks and regards,

Dan

Hello,

Thanks for your forum post.

Althought this isnt something that would be officially tested. VMWare's others product for Mac VMWare Fusion runs NT on Macs with no problems. The only thing that usually needs to be turned off on Mac is folder sharing to allow NinjaTrader to run without any errors. Please see the link for others users experiences using VMWare fusion on a Mac.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Brett,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am not referring to running VMware on Macs. Both my machines (PC & laptop) are Windows (Vista Business 64-bit & Vista Home Premium 32 bit). Sorry, I should have been clearer in my initial post.

Kind regards,

Dan

Comment

Hello,

I understood that you were not referring to VMWare on a mac but the concept is the same. There is no specific testing for what your asking though, the information on the Mac version of VMWare should apply to you as well thats why I mentioned it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Drolles, the free version sits ontop of your existing OS, and then you can run VMs on it. So you have Windows OS, then Vmware on that and then the VM OS's off that. You can still run your existing Windows OS. The paid versions are a true hyperviser, it is basically its own OS layer and then you run other VM's OS ontop of that, so you have one less layer.

The main difference is performance, the free version is a little sluggish, but even the hypervisers are slower than a raw windows box on hardware. If you run the free version you do still have the ability to run the raw windows OS though, which runs at normal speed (as long as the VM's aren't using up the resources)

For the paid version you need to make sure your BIOS has the VPS option available and turned On.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post arvidvanstaey  
          Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
          16 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post samish18