Swing Trading Strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing Trading Strategies

I'm working with a programmer who is writing the code for several 60 min and 1 day time frame swing trading strategies. The programmer that I'm working with has some concern about using NT for longer time frame trades (days) with specific concern to loss of internet connectivity and/or loss of electricity for several hours. If either of these were to happen and I had several positions open when electricity and/or internet connectivity was subsequently restored what would my NT platform look like, meaning would NT remember the open positions/stop losses etc. or how would the NT platform look like at that point.

Hello crazyhorse2393,

Unfortunately your strategy will not be remembered in NinjaTrader 6.5. You will need to manually initiate and synch your strategy. Please review the information at the link below, which is important upon running automated strategies.

Please review the information at the following link as well, which explains the concept of an account position vs. a strategy position.

NinjaTrader 7 has been improved in this aspect. See the information below.

Persistence between sessions
    Strategies will now be maintained between NinjaTrader shutdown and restart. On restart, you can multi-select strategies in the Control Center Strategies grid and enable all strategies to run in a single click. You can disable, change parameters and re-enable a strategy. You can now also save a set of parameters as default. You no longer have to re-add strategies every time you restart NinjaTrader.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I would like to run some strategies against weekly charts so based on back testing I will be in the market from 1 week to 5 or 6. I am sure I will need to restart my system and NinjaTrader while I have strategies up and running. I read the links below and I just want to clarify that I am setup correctly.

I want to have "Immediately submit live working historical orders" checked.

I want to have NinjaScript strategy's "Exit on close" property is disabled.

I am trading equities so and I want to minimize commissions so I need to have "Stop & target submission - By strategy position" checked.

I am not sure how to set this one? Cancel strategy orders on strategy termination If I need to install some service patches or something on my computer so I need to shutdown and reboot how should I have this set?

If I am back testing against some instruments and I find an instrument I want to run my strategy live against and get in say after the first week. I will need to start the strategy and then submit and order manually to get my Account position in sync with the newly started strategy.

If I am rebooting after an update and reopening strategies I will not need to sync anything, but I should probably double check the Positions tab to make sure everything is in sync.

Do I have this correct?

Thanks,
      Erik

Comment

Hello ErikHR,

Yes, this is a good assessment of strategy settings and their implications.

I am not sure how to set this one? Cancel strategy orders on strategy termination If I need to install some service patches or something on my computer so I need to shutdown and reboot how should I have this set?
        This is your preference and you may want different things depending on where your order is held.

Cancel strategy orders on strategy termination
        When a NinjaScript strategy is terminated (stops running) cancel requests to cancel all strategy submitted working orders are sent.

If I am rebooting after an update and reopening strategies I will not need to sync anything, but I should probably double check the Positions tab to make sure everything is in sync.
        You should also check the strategies tab to verify the strategy position as well.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by kempotrader, Today, 08:56 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post kempotrader  
        Started by kempotrader, Today, 08:54 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes