How to load historical data into chart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to load historical data into chart?

I'm new to NT. I followed the directions for downloading (from TradeStation) and then importing the data into NT. At this point the help does not explain how to get the data onto a chart and I haven't got a clue. I've looked in the instrument manager and don't see anything. The data is for ES and the symbol I downloaded from TradeStation was ten years of @ES.D.

Thanks for your help.

tom

Hello,

Thank you for your forum post.

I have compiled all the information on setting up the tradestation connection in NinjaTrader. At this point it sounds like you got the data imported successfully. When you did went to Tools->Historical->Import and selected your file did it import successfully? As if this is done you will be able to open the data by created a chart of the instrument, you will use the ##-## expiry for the instrument when you create the chart.

Here is the links to help you with setting up the tradestation connection. Use the arrows in the top right hand corner to flip through Help Guide pages.

You will need to add the strategy file in Tradestation for each instrument. The tradestation interface was only designed to support a few instruments at the same time.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Brett; 06-05-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I was able to import the data which was in a file in the folder "import" and called @ES.D.txt. It's ten years of data for the TradeStation symbol @ES.D. Unfortunately, I do not find in your instructions or anywhere else what it is I must do to access this data in NinjaTrader. When you create a chart you are introduced to a dialog box requesting information about the symbol. Other than the ##.## what information do I need to access the already imported data?

Tom

Comment

Hello,

Best at this point to send a note to support at ninjatrader dot com and reference this forum post and put ATTN: Brett in the subject line so that we may setup a time for me to further assist on Monday. Please include your phone number for me to assist remotely!

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Chart not show tradestation data?

I have TS 9.1 and NT 7.0 installed on win 8(64) PC. I downloaded aapl 1-m data using NTDataDownload.
          I had no problem to import data into NT. I can see the data under edit tab of historical data manager.

I just get a blank chart. I had tried everything, and no luck.

The data looks like following.

20080102 072100;199.7800;199.9300;199.6200;199.9200;117335
          20080102 072200;199.9000;199.9500;199.7700;199.8500;68441
          20080102 072300;199.8600;200.2600;199.8500;200.0200;204048

Thanks very much for any help.

lcy1031

Comment

Hello lcy1031,

When you go the Historical Data Manager -> Edit tab, what is the most current date of the Minute data that you imported?

The data looks to be in the right format, the only thing that stands out to me is that it is starting at 2008.

Happy to be of further assistance.
            JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

the most current one is 4/16/2013. I don't think 2008 does a matter. I can download from 2012 to test again.

thanks.

Comment

Hello lcy1031,

There is nothing that matter with having data back to 2008 it was more of making sure that you have data for a more current date. So for instance by default a minute chart is going to load 5 days worth of data, but if you only have access to data from 2012 then your chart will be blank.

Could you just clarify what instrument and time frame you are opening up on a chart? Example AAPL 5 Min

Comment

I enter aapl in the top blank text box of data series screen, and then click "new" button.
                  settings are 100 days and 1-minute bar for aapl.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello lcy1031,

Could you attach an image of the chart and the settings of the Data Series window to this thread so that I may look into this?

Comment

I bought data from Kinetick. I think the problem to load TS historical data is decimal. NTDatadownload data having 4 decimals. It should be 2 decimals.

Thanks.

lcy1031

Comment

Hello lcy1031,

Thanks for the update. Kinetick should have access to as much historical data that you would need. As for as the TS Historical Data, NinjaTrader does export to 4 decimal places out, but they will be zeros at the last two places and NinjaTrader will ignore them.

Happy to be of further assistance.

Comment

I don't know the real cause. I don't have time to dig it at this time. I will let you know as I find something.

Thanks.

lcy1031

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post sarafuenonly123  
                          Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                          0 responses