• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT7.0.0.17 Eating 5g of Ram at Idle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    NT7.0.0.17 Eating 5g of Ram at Idle

    I followed the upgrade instructions from .15 to .16. I just upgraded to .17, and ran a pretty large optimization which never finished. The whole time the optimization was running, NT7 was using 98% of my RAM (nearly 6g) but only 10-15% of my CPU. I had to shut it down in Task Manager after it ran for 12 hours with no progress being shown after the first hour and a half.

    Now it is eating almost all of my RAM even when all I do is open it. No charts are open, no connections are made. It uses less than 1% of my CPU while it is doing this.

    I'm running Windows 7, 64bit NT7.0.0.17, on an i7 920 quad core processor with 6g of RAM.

    I know I can just uninstall and reinstall, but I don't want to go through all of that trouble just to end up here again if there is something else for me to try. Likewise, I don't know if there is something you guys want to help you with debugging that might get wiped in the process.

    Thoughts?

    #2
    Hello JimmySmith,

    Did you try a reboot of your PC yet?

    Can you please post your latest log and trace files. You can find log and trace files at the following locations.

    Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> Log--> log.20100614 for today. (log.yyyymmdd for any other date)

    Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> Trace--> trace.20100614 for today. (trace.yyyymmdd for any other date)
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by JimmySmith View Post
      I followed the upgrade instructions from .15 to .16. I just upgraded to .17, and ran a pretty large optimization which never finished. The whole time the optimization was running, NT7 was using 98% of my RAM (nearly 6g) but only 10-15% of my CPU. I had to shut it down in Task Manager after it ran for 12 hours with no progress being shown after the first hour and a half.

      Now it is eating almost all of my RAM even when all I do is open it. No charts are open, no connections are made. It uses less than 1% of my CPU while it is doing this.

      I'm running Windows 7, 64bit NT7.0.0.17, on an i7 920 quad core processor with 6g of RAM.

      I know I can just uninstall and reinstall, but I don't want to go through all of that trouble just to end up here again if there is something else for me to try. Likewise, I don't know if there is something you guys want to help you with debugging that might get wiped in the process.

      Thoughts?
      Just a thought, but maybe your log or trace file is now huge and is being loaded each time you run NT?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by dave1992 View Post
        Just a thought, but maybe your log or trace file is now huge and is being loaded each time you run NT?
        I think Dave might be onto something here. I have 6 log files. 4 are 5kb or less, and two are each 2.4gb.

        So, posting these is out of the question.

        I'm going to move these to another directory for safe keeping, and start over with a smaller chunk for my optimization and see how that goes.

        I'll post my results once I get around to doing all of this.

        Thanks so much.

        Comment


          #5
          Can you please check what options are enabled in the Diagnostics-tab in the Control Center. Please ensure only 'Connect', 'Order' and 'to file only' are enabled.

          If other options are enabled, it can results in really large log and trace files.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
            Can you please check what options are enabled in the Diagnostics-tab in the Control Center. Please ensure only 'Connect', 'Order' and 'to file only' are enabled.

            If other options are enabled, it can results in really large log and trace files.
            I do not see such a tab. The only tabs I have in Control Center are Orders, Strategies, Executions, Positions, Accounts, Account Performance, Log. The log tab does not give me any options to change.

            In fact, I looked everywhere for any such option and I could not find it. Where specifically would I find it?

            Thanks for your help.

            Comment


              #7
              JimmySmith,

              Please disregard the Diagnostics tab for now. Are you able to open those large log files up and see what kind of messages are being flooding the file? If not, do you still continue to experience these large log files?
              Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                JimmySmith,

                Please disregard the Diagnostics tab for now. Are you able to open those large log files up and see what kind of messages are being flooding the file? If not, do you still continue to experience these large log files?
                The log files are too big to open with anything that I have.

                By moving them out of the bin folder, however, I was able to open NT7 just fine.

                I reran the optimization, simplifying it greatly and cutting the date range down to 25% of my original just to get it to run. I watched the CPU and RAM usage, and for about 20 minutes, everything looked great. The RAM usage would ramp up, then come down, and CPU usage was running around 80%.

                However, at about the 20 minute mark, the RAM filled up, and NT7 froze again. It created a 2.24GB log file in that run.

                I will try to simplify once again.

                Comment


                  #9
                  What kind of strategy do you optimize? Do you experience any issues when you optimize the SampleMACrossOver strategy?

                  I suggest to compile the strategy and check if it compiles successful. Please go to Tools-->Edit NinjaScript-->Strategy and double click your strategy. Hit F5 and all(!) NinjaScript files will be compiled. Please let me know the outcome.
                  JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

                  Comment

                  Latest Posts

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by vivekniwas, Today, 11:31 AM
                  1 response
                  8 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Heath  
                  Started by Austiner87, Yesterday, 04:59 PM
                  1 response
                  9 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                  Started by rlcheny, Today, 10:38 AM
                  1 response
                  7 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Tyler  
                  Started by JAtrades, Today, 05:38 AM
                  5 responses
                  26 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post rlcheny
                  by rlcheny
                   
                  Started by RobotSyndicate, Today, 08:27 AM
                  1 response
                  13 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                  Working...
                  X