Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Problem attempting to move existing order!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem attempting to move existing order!

Let's say I'm short ES, and I have a buy order in the vicinity of the current trading price. My goal is to cover my position. Lets say I decide to click on the order so that the "hand" icon appears and I merely want to nudge my buy order up one tick to ensure a fill. The problem, is that sometimes when I'm in the act of clicking the mouse on the new target price, the existing order fills a split second before the DOM receives my click. We're talking a fraction of a second here. The program then generates a buy order as a result of my clicking on the buy side of the DOM even though my intention was to click on it to move an existing order (the hand icon was initially visible due to my already clicking on the existing order). This causes me to be net long against my will. Again, once I've made up my mind to click on the DOM to specify a new order price (when the hand icon was in initially visible) I can't then stop myself from doing so. If the existing order fills a split second before the DOM receives my click, then I'm screwed because I'm now in a NEW position I never wanted.

I lost money twice today, because I only intended to move my cover target up in price, but, due to this issue, Ninjatrader caused me to become net long. I view this as a major issue. When the "hand" icon is already visible, the program should let me click on the center colum to specify where I want the existing order moved to. That way, if the existing order already was filled before the DOM receives my click, then this doesn't generate a new buy order! Anyone else agree with me?

I'm running version 6.5.1000.15
    Last edited by Implosion; 06-16-2010, 04:19 PM.

Good suggestion. I don't know how hard it would be to implement but it would help solve the same type of problem I have had. I just never thought to ask to have it changed or fixed.
    eDanny
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Hello Implosion,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

There's a couple different approaches you could use to work around this:
      1) Turn on order confirmation. That way you'll receive confirmation before placing any order inadvertently.

2) Use ATM with single click order modification. ATM allows you to automatically apply profit targets and stop losses to orders. Turn on single click order modification through the Superdom Right click > Properties screen. This would allow you to adjust your profit target order with a single click in the price column. This also wouldn't result in inadvertent order placement.

Single Click Modification of Stop Loss and Profit Target Orders
      You have the option of enabling single click modification for stop loss and profit target orders via the SuperDOM Properties dialog window accessible by right mouse click context menu. This is an advanced feature that can provide you with a clear advantage of efficiently modifying orders in fast moving markets. If you are a scalper then this option is for you.

Once enabled, to modify stop loss and profit target orders click in the center "PRICE" column. Clicking in the "PRICE" column on the BID or above when long will adjust your profit target order prices, below the BID will adjust stop loss order prices. Clicking in the price column on the ASK or below when short will adjust your profit target order prices, above the ASK will adjust your stop loss order prices.

Left Mouse Click - Modifies the closest stop loss or profit target order
      Middle Mouse Click - Modifies the second closest stop loss or profit target order
      Middle Mouse Click + CTRL Key - Modifies the third closest stop loss or profit target order
      Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I can't use ATM at this time, since I'm using the Direct version that I got through my broker and that has ATM completely disabled. I tried enabling order confirmation but that slows me down. My only option is to cancel the original order first, which is a lot clumsier than clicking on the order to move it. I think that allowing someone to click on the center column to specify the new order price would be the ideal solution. (in other words, be able to click on the center column after the "hand" icon is already visible to specify the new price...you would still have to first click on the order itself to move it.).

Comment

Implosion,

Well, as mentioned earlier you could use the single click order modification.

As for the method of modifying orders I am not sure how it is different than what you describe. You select the order to modify and then left click where you want to move the order to, and which column you use is dependent on the order type.

If you clarify what type of functionality you are looking for I would be glad to pass that along to development, or provide some method that may work just as well presently.
          Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As originally stated, I would like a way to ensure that when I click on an order to modify it, that doing so NEVER causes a new order to be entered should the original execute a split second before I actually click on the DOM. After thinking about this, this could happen both when I intially click on the order, as well as when I click on a different price with the "hand" icon visible. I've thought about the solution some more. How about making it so that if I hold down the ALT key it means that no new orders would be entered without a confirmation dialog? In other words, ALT would temperarily turn on the confirmation dialog for NEW orders only. (I don't want order confirmation on all the time.) A better solution would be to let me click on the center column to move an order (the first click on the center column at the same price of an existing order would bring up the hand icon, and the next click would specify new order price). A user is never going to have a buy and sell at the same price so clicking on the center column would be a good way to change an order's price without ever causing a NEW order to executed. (since clicking on the center column would do nothing if there were no order at that price to modify)

Please explain to me how I can use "single click order modification" when ATM is completely disabled for the direct version?

Comment

Implosion,

I will forward this suggestion to development for inclusion on the list of possible future enhancements to NinjaTrader.

Since you are using the Direct Edition License then Single Click Order Modification would not work, but I also see more clearly how the implementation of using the Price column would be beneficial.

I have included all of this in my follow-up with development.
              Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post jclose
              by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
              10 responses