Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting a strategy in the middle of a trade

HI,

In NT 6 when I started a strategy on a chart and the strategy was already in the middle of a trade (but my position live wasn't in the middle of a trade), I would just manually open a position that puts me in sync with the strategy and then the strategy would just go on fine closing it when the time came.
    Now in NT 7, the strategy is yellow when it's started in the middle of a trade, and won't even work until it's green (when the trade is closed on the strategy). Even if I tick "sync account position", it would only open the position for me automatically, but it won't close the position when the strategy should close it because it's still yellow and turns green only when the strategy is closed (but it won't execute a close order while it turns green). So manually opening a trade to sync to the strategy, or ticking "sync account position" doesn't really get me going in the automated strategy so that I can "set and forget".
    Is there any way to align my position so that the strategy can take over even when it's yellow?
    I've actually had some strange results with "sync account position" where it would automatically open a huge position that didn't reflect anything going on in the strategy as per the chart it was on. I had to restart NT to clear this error (which could be a nightmare if it were to be live opening a huge position automatically out of nowhere).

Can you also please explain what "entry handling" and "stop & target submission" does to order handling? I couldn't figure those out.

Thank you so much!

werido, tried on my end here but was not able to reproduce the issue - please ensure you're working in 'immediately submit' mode as you start up the strategy -

For an explanation on the entryHandling property, please see this link -

If you're using Stop and Target submission per entry execution, an order for each filled qty is sent out for the exits (your stop and targets), if you set this to PerStrategyPosition instead only one order is sent and qty's are amended then as needed if fills come in for your position -

http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...tegiesTab.html (version 6 link for this as the other is not complete yet in this area).

Thanks
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      werido, tried on my end here but was not able to reproduce the issue - please ensure you're working in 'immediately submit' mode as you start up the strategy -

For an explanation on the entryHandling property, please see this link -

If you're using Stop and Target submission per entry execution, an order for each filled qty is sent out for the exits (your stop and targets), if you set this to PerStrategyPosition instead only one order is sent and qty's are amended then as needed if fills come in for your position -

http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...tegiesTab.html (version 6 link for this as the other is not complete yet in this area).

Thanks
      To reproduce the issue, run a strategy and when it's in the middle of a trade, click to disable the strategy, and then click again to enable the strategy. This way the position should still be in the trade, but the strategy will be yellow. Then watch for when the strategy comes back to green, it won't close the original position that it itself opened. This is what's happening on my end, the yellow strategy doesn't affect the positon, so even syncing to position will only open the trade to get it in sync with the strategy, but it won't really sync it with the strategy because the strategy is still yellow and therefor won't close out the position.
      How do I get it to really sync with the strategy so that it does close out the position even when it's yellow, or get it to go green and be live even if started in the middle of a trade like the way NT6 handled this situation?

Thanks.
      Last edited by werido; 06-17-2010, 06:16 PM.

Comment

weriod, please ensure you run this on 'immediately submit...' as on starting a realtime strategy setting (Tools > Options > Strategies > NS) - this way the strategy is green immdediately if you reenable it while it would be in the middle of a trade, on the other setting it would just wait until this trade is closed and then open the new entry signal only.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok great, think I got it. Thank you very much!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
          0 responses
          1 view
          0 likes
          Last Post usazencort  
          Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
          5 responses
          0 likes