Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Tim View Post
    Hi TraderSU,

What are you strategy settings? What session template are you using?
    Just curious - Is there a way to preset time period and session value from inside the code?

Comment

Originally posted by pmaglio View Post
      Just a comment, looking at your strategy I see you are using a 4 ticks target. That is too small for the smaller timeframe ( 1 Min ) you are using, so it is going to be filled most times in the same bar than entry.
      You could use a smaller timeframe ( a 4 range bar chart would be ok ) or just set the targets and stops on next bar....
      You make it 8 tick, still same issue. The execution is not conservative. Which is exactly what my point is. BUG BUG BUG

It will make us see the rosy picture where in reality it's totally different.

Comment

Hi TraderSU,

Please include a screenshot of the chart with entry and exit and explain the discrepency between what is occurring and what you expect.
        TimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi TraderSU,

Please include a screenshot of the chart with entry and exit and explain the discrepency between what is occurring and what you expect.
          The strategy will generate only one trade. Just look at the 5m bar first. Since bar close is not greater than target - conservative exit should never mark a target exit here.

I did attachment as per 8 tick target...

BUG BUG BUG
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello TraderSU,

This was the question asked in your original post:

Say my position was opened at open of that 5m candle but target and stop both are within the range of the candle so how will backtest engine report it? A winner or loser?
            The conservative approach in this scenario is that stop losses will be filled before profit targets. We didn't define "conservative" in any other scenario except the above.

Please clarify your current concern. If you are worried about profit targets filled intrabar, pmaglio offers some good suggestions in post 14.
            Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This happens very often, and as Ninja doesnt have intrabar analysis ( as Tradestation ) does, you have to avoid configurations ( timeframes vs targets and stops ) where entry and targets or stops are on same bar.
              You can solve it by changing the target and stop values on 2nd bar of being long ( i usually do that ), or reduce timeframe.

Btw ; it would be great if Ninja 7 could do intrabar analysis as tradestation...

Regards,
              pmaglio
              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - The Indicator Store

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
                Hello TraderSU,

Please clarify your current concern. If you are worried about profit targets filled intrabar, pmaglio offers some good suggestions in post 14.
                Yeah, I'm working on workaround(s). But I touched a gray area where you have option to react as politician and ignore it. Or provide a fix in next release ;-) Your call.

I changed my question.

Say my position was opened at somewhere inside the 5m candle and my target is within the range of the candle; but close is lower than target; so how will backtest engine report it? A winner or no trade at all?

Comment

Hi TraderSU,

If the Profit Target value/offset exists in the bar with the entry (ie. if it was possible to achieve the profit target), and a Stop Loss value does not exist, you will see both the entry and the exit on Profit Target in the same bar, regardless of where the close price is.
                  TimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi TraderSU,

If the Profit Target value/offset exists in the bar with the entry (ie. if it was possible to achieve the profit target), and a Stop Loss value does not exist, you will see both the entry and the exit on Profit Target in the same bar, regardless of where the close price is.
                    Good to know that you are happy with this result and this is the expected behavior as per NT architects. NO BUG, NO BUG, NO BUG ;-)

But I still feel that if close is not reaching profit then we are not 100% sure about the profit target so backtest should not declare it as profit...

Since I'm a good programmer, it was pretty easy for me to to run trade on 1m and analysis on 5m bars. I also went "Unmanaged" mode to have better control over execution...@pmaglio - I did a delay of 1m in placing bracket and things were more conservative now...

Result is very heart-breaking and killed the excitement that was building from past few days. But hey - that is life :-)

Thanks to our wonderful NT support guys & pmaglio :-)
                    Last edited by TraderSU; 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Tim-c, Today, 02:10 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                    Started by Taddypole, Today, 02:47 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Taddypole