IB data pacing violation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB data pacing violation

I've written a forex strategy that is considerably more profitable when I use tick data than when I use minute bars, and since my broker IB doesn't provide historical tick data, only minute bars, I want to find a data provider where I can hook up the strategy analyzer and run backtests on tick data.

The other massive problem with IB as a data provider is the pacing violations and the 5 mins waiting time when hit. With some pairs, I can't run strategies on it without it triggering the HDM download, and the data that IB provides sometimes doesn't fulfill the requirements and so the HDM downloads it every time, so I have to disconnect to run the tests.

I've got a massive tick data database, but I only get updates for it once a quarter, so now at the end of the 2nd quarter I can't do backtesting on the last 2 and bit months.

Any recommendations?

Hello,

Thank you for your forum post.

In this case you will need to connect to a data feed provider that will support tick data to the extent that you need.

Please see the following data only providers that you can connect to in addition to your IB connection since these are data only connections and not a broker. You could connect to the data connection first and then IB second.

I have included information below on how to obtain discounted rates and free trials from the following datafeed providers.
    Barchart.com (subscriptions starting at $45/monthly):

IQFeed offers a 7-day free trial for NinjaTrader users.

eSignal promotional rate for NinjaTrader clients:

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Thanks Brett, I appreciate it.

Comment

I have another question on this topic:

I want to trade against the IB live feed but I want to replace the IB historical feed with another vendor.

I am worried that there will be a problem because IB provides both live and historical data, and most data providers such as those above - eSignal, BarChart, IQFeed - also provide both.

How would I be able to configure NT to use the live feed from IB but to access the historical data from the secondary vendor?

Comment

Hi adamus,

This would require that you disable historical data for the IB connection via the Tools > Account Connections menu.

After selecting your IB connection in the Account Connections menu, click Change then navigate to the page where you gave the connection a name - you'll find the historical data setting in that window.
          KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Right. Sounds simple enough, thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Pattontje, Yesterday, 02:10 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Pattontje  
            Started by flybuzz, 04-21-2024, 04:07 PM