Different Symbols for DTN IQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Symbols for DTN IQ

I have just started a Demo with DTN IQ and am having problems with Symbols.

For example, to load the S&P Emini, the symbol in the master list is ES but DTN IQ say they use @ES.
    I tried to modify the symbol in the Instrument Manager but it won't allow the "@" character.

Do i have to create a new instrument for each symbol i want to chart if its different than the master list using DTN IQ as a data feed?

Thanks,
    Taddypole...

I seemed to have found my own answer. I didn't understand the Symbol Map under the Misc tab of the Instrument Editor.

I see that there is a map that has the correct symbol for each data vendor.

Taddypole...

Comment

Taddypole, great you have it figured out - correct the map basically ensures proper 'translation' between various tickers used by the supported providers / technologies.
      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Please see attachment. I just started using IQFeed myself as a secondary feed and am testing it out today. I noticed lots of errors for symbols not found via IQFeed. I have latest IQFeed client installed: 4.7.1.3.

Am I using correct IQFeed client version for NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.16? Or do I need to edit my symbol maps for the symbols that failed (perhaps IQFeed has recently changed its naming scheme)? How can I go about debugging/resolving these errors?

Thanks for your help,

JD
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello JD,

Yes – the IQFeed Client version is 4.7.1.3

for the symbol errors you are getting, please check the following symbol map conventions:
          • 6E – use @EU
          • 6J – use @JY
          • CL – use QCL
          • EMD – use @EMD
          • ES – use @ES
          • FDAX – use XG
          • GC – use QGC
          • NG – use +NG
          • NQ – use @NQ
          • TF – use @TFS
          • YM – use @YM
          • ZB – use @US
          • ZN – use @TY
          • ZT – use @TU

Once you have confirmed that these are correct, you will need to make sure you are viewing the current front-month for each symbol.

To add/remove expired contracts/symbols from your ‘default’ list, please see the following resource:

Please let me know if this does not resolve the issue.
          ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for heads up - I realized this was probably the issue when comparing the 6.5 symbol maps to 7.0 beta 17 symbol maps. Note, I also noticed a few discrepancies with IQFeed symbol maps (either on one or the other - sometimes NT7 beta 17 differed from 6.5):

* I (3 month Euro Interest Rate) = IE vs. L (3 month Sterling) = IE; same symbol used for 2 differing products on the same exchange
            * HE (Lean Hogs) = L vs. LE (Lean Cattle) = L; same symbol used for 2 differing products on the same exchange

A few suggestions for future improvements in this Instrument Manager tool:

* allow for a "Symbol" search field so we can query against symbols (both master instrument symbol name and/or symbol map definitions).

* allow for Intrument Manager definitions to be exported/imported. For instance, I just spent over 2 hours painstakingly going thru each future definition for IQFeed comparing 6.5 vs. 7.0 and updating to the 7.0 definitions. Now, if I have a different NinjaTrader 6.5 instance (or 7.0 instance in future) and wanted to update/sync them between different installs, its extremely painful and error prone to do this manually. Much better if we could export/serialize the Instrument Manager definition list and import/deserialize into different NinjaTrader installation.

* on your next 6.5 update, get the Instrument Manager in sync with 7.0 definition list (at least for IQFeed as I noticed quite a few differences between the two for futures list)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions provided JD - for a backup of custom instruments please ensure to save the database file (either directly or with a dedicated Backup tool).
              BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:56 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post WHICKED
              by WHICKED

Started by Felix Reichert, Today, 02:12 PM
              0 responses