Help with Forex Backtesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Forex Backtesting

I'm doing backtesting with intraday Forex data from Gain.

1. I'm getting trades at 6am that I don't want. Where can I define it to only test/trade during the NY session?

2. In the Trade tab list, prices are only showing to 2 decimals instead of 4. Where do I fix this?

3. Going into the Chart of the backtest and using the Data Box (Ctrl-D), for the bars, the prices are correct to 4 decimals, but the open, high, low and close always have 00 in the 3rd and 4th places. This isn't right.

4. I'm sure related to #3 and #4 the individual trade profits are showing as 1 or 2 cents and should be $100 or $200.

Thx.

Hi Brooks,

1. Please setup a time filter for your conditions inside the strategy - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3226

2. What FX spot symbol are you working with and what is your pip setting under Tools > Options > Misc?

3. Please see 2

4. What backtesting qty did you enter?

Special Circumstances with GAIN Forex
    During a backtest, order quantity is an absolute value which is in most cases different than in a real-time brokerage account. As an example, 1 traded FX lot at a live brokerage account might be the equivalent to 100,000 of notional value (check with your broker) however, in backtest a value of 1 is a literal value of 1 and not 100,000. Thus, if you want to trade 100,000 in a backtest you need to put in a value of 100,000. Just remember that if you convert your strategy from backtest to live you will need to amend the order quantities appropriately.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

1. Ok, added time filter. Took care of that issue.

2. $USDJPY. I have no pip setting under Tools Options Misc (see attached).

3. Problem still exists.

4. I changed the "Set order quantity" to "by default quantity", then changed "Default quantity" from 1 to 100,000.

The trade amounts are better, but still not right because all entries and exits only have 2 decimals of accuracy instead of 4 as is required for forex. So it assumes all trades are multiples of 100 pips (100, 200, 300, etc.).

Please advise.
      Attached Files

Comment

There is definitely something wrong with the Gain quotes for $USDJPY. All quotes are in the format 87.1500. Other Gain forex symbols seem to be 87.1512.

Is there a way NT can check with Gain about this?

Comment

If you're using NT7, the Pip setting is under Tools > Options > Data then, please ensure this is set to Pip for working with Gain.

For the decimal issue, I could not reproduce here, please reset instruments under Tools > Options > Data as well and then restart NT fresh and recheck with freshly downloaded data.

Thanks
          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
          9 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
          Started by George21, Today, 10:07 AM
          0 responses