Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch a strategy to sim account

Good morning,

Is it possible to switch a strategy from live to simulation ?

I would like to swith to my sim account and keep running the strategy.

I do not want to stop the strategy.

Regards,
    Steven

Steven, unfortunately you can't switch accounts while the strategy is running.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Switching trading accounts from the strategy script

Hi Bertrand,

This is an issue that should be moved high on the long "improvements" list

Is a very common need to be able to switch between accounts without having to disable/re-enable the strategy to do it.

As you well know the results obtained on a live strategy NEVER match the results obtained when you disable/re-enable it due to all the (usually way off due to NT internal algorithms) assumptions about how the execution "would" have happened, now on historical data.

A very common mode of trading is to

1) Trade in sim to get a feel for the markets and then switch to live trading when a high probability trade presents itself.

2) Once the profit target (or stop loss) for the day has been reached in the live account it is very instructive to switch to sim mode to improve trading skills without $ pressure.

I coded the switch into a trial strategy but it throws this error when attempting to switch from another account to sim 101 from the strategy script (it is coded so that the switch would happen when the position is flat)

3/15/2011 23:36:50 PM Default Failed to execute DB job 'AccountUpdateJob': A duplicate value cannot be inserted into a unique index. [ Table name = nt_account,Constraint name = nt_account_ui ]

It would be great if you cxould produce a workaround so that the duplicate value error may be solved at the level of this.Account.AccountUpdate Event Handler.

Thanks!

Dr Ben

Comment

Steven and DrBen - thanks for sharing your input here - this item is now being tracked with id # 748 in our system.

Comment

Originally posted by SMuhr View Post
          Good morning,

Is it possible to switch a strategy from live to simulation ?

I would like to swith to my sim account and keep running the strategy.

I do not want to stop the strategy.

Regards,
          Steven
          I would like to add my support and request for this feature. The ability to select the Account, like SIM101, etc and then back to one or another account. very helpful as stated to "try" different things. One variation which I would like better is to be able to do almost a "BarsInProgress" type of approach (Regarding entry/exit functions). For example, have 3 different strategies running in the same strategy (all Sims for example), when one starts to win, switch that strategy to a live account.

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks for the additional input on this enhancement suggestion NJA_MC.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
            9 responses
            1 like
            Last Post caryc123  
            Started by rocketman7, Today, 09:41 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes