• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

problem importing Emini S&P 500 tick data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem importing Emini S&P 500 tick data

Hi,

I am trying to import historical emini s&p 500 tick data into NT, with zilch success. This is the error message from the log:
    • 26/08/2007 6:26:05 PM|3|4|Unable to import file 'C:\.......\NinjaTrader 6\db\import\ES 12-06.txt'. Instrument is not supported by repository.
    I did not show the complete path in the above message.

I have made several attempts already, all with the same error.

Here are the first seven records in the ES 12-06.txt file:

20061011 063012;1356.75;3
    20061011 063013;1356.75;2
    20061011 063044;1356.75;59
    20061011 063116;1356.75;2
    20061011 063124;1356.75;1
    20061011 063206;1356.75;1
    20061011 063206;1356.75;2

The starting time is 063012; the last entry in the file is for:
    20061011 164012. There are 40,027 records in the file, all dated 20061011.

Before I imported the data, I set up the ES 12-06 as an instrument using the instrument manager.

What exactly is NT complaining about?

How can I check that the new instrument was set up correctly, and if not, the reason NT rejected it.

TIA

Will look into and report back to you.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
      Will look into and report back to you.
      Ray,

I am ok now. I didn't complete the instrument set up.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

SAme Trouble

I'm having the same trouble. I'm trying to import from Tradestation. I've imported stock symbols with no problem so I'm familiar with the procedure but I can't seem to get tick data to import. I've added both $TICK and $TRIN to the symbol dropdown list. I've loaded the NTDataDownload and NTExternalFeed strategies into the windows on Tradestation. The files ($TICK.txt amd $TRIN.txt) are created in the import directory but when I go to import I get the error: "Unable to import file'C:\Documents and Settings\.... Instrument is not supported". Why is NT rejecting these files?
          tnx
          Mark

Comment

Try

^TICK.txt and ^TRIN.txt and see if this works.

Comment

problem importing Emini S&P 500 tick data - again!

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
              Thanks for letting me know.
              Ray,

Looks like I am not completely out of the woods with this import business. So now I have imported tick data and set that up as the ES 12-06 in the list of instruments/products. I can actually export this and get a file that matches the import file.

But getting NT to use the imported data is another matter. I connect to the simulated data feed at start up, point NT to the ES 12-06 product, and everything looks good, charts and all. The data that comes up however is not what I imported. I established that by dumping the prices in OnBarUpdate, and comparing that to my imported file.

What did I miss? Could it be that there was an old ES 12-06 in the Sim data feed and that's what NT is using? I didn't check that before importing the tick data. Should I be connecting to Sim Feed or to something else?

TIA

Comment

The data you export by Tools->Historical data->Export will match the data you imported by Tools->Historical data->Import.

You could verify on a fresh DB (just temporarily rename your DB file <my documents>/NinjaTrader6/db/NinjaTrader.mdb).
                DierkNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                  The data you export by Tools->Historical data->Export will match the data you imported by Tools->Historical data->Import.

You could verify on a fresh DB (just temporarily rename your DB file <my documents>/NinjaTrader6/db/NinjaTrader.mdb).
                  Thanks for replying to my post.

My problem is not so much with the verification of the imported data. Rather it's getting NT to use it. I have created the ES 12-06 instrument/product for the data I imported into NT. When I start up NT and try to connect NT to ES 12-06, it runs, but the data being displayed in the control center is not the data I imported.

I am thinking that there are other ES 12-06 data in NT, but if I export that, what I get is what I have imported.

Plus there aren't enough buttons in the control center to identify a specific date within a given instrument, unlike in the chart set up.

If I want to be sure that the instrument I created contains only the data I imported, how do I go about doing that?

TIA

Comment

Please proceed as per my suggestions below and you'll see how it works.

Also: after importing into a fresh DB the data pull up a chart to verify it's there as expected.

Comment

Please proceed as per my suggestions below and you'll see how it works.

Also: after importing into a fresh DB the data pull up a chart to verify it's there as expected.
                      Dierk,

It's clear to me now that I was expecting Sim feed to behave differently from what NT was designed to do. 1) I cannot backtest even with historical data, 2) the prices are driven from a parameter in the Sim feed, rather than from the data itself.

Is it safe to assume that NT is simply using the historical data as events to generate a stream of trades? If so,
                      • Will the generated stream mimic the time and price movements of the historical data?
                      • If I specify a starting price equal to the first price in the historical data, will I get the same set of prices in the generated stream?
                      • Is the first historical trade record always the starting point for the generated stream.
                      Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Not sure I follow. Backtest is driven by historical data.

Comment

Not sure I follow. Backtest is driven by historical data.
                          The question you raised was wonderful, Dierk. My problem was that I was having some difficulty getting NT to use the historical data I imported; leading me to conclude that NT overrides the date in the imported data to that of the current date. Which it does, but as I found out after you raised your question, NT can be set up to honor the dates in the historical data as well.

So things are looking better. Thanks. I do have a few questions still with NT's use of historical data, but I will try to see if I can get the answers myself first. That, or come up with the wrong conclusions again.

I will keep you posted.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by GMiller64, Today, 01:13 PM
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post GMiller64  
                          Started by itrader46, Today, 12:51 PM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes