chart annotations from live to replay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chart annotations from live to replay

If I annotate a chart when connected to a live data feed with trendlines, etc., should the same objects carry over to a replay session of the same instrument if using the same workspace for both?

I think in 6.5, when I scribbled all over a chart of ES or GBP, then saved workspace, disconnected from live data and wanted to replay my trades after market close, my same scribbles would also show in the replay session. That doesn't seem to be the case in NT7.

I can't replay/review the day's session after hours since all of my live chart annotations are gone in replay. I've saved a copy of my live trading workspace as a "replay" workspace then connected to a replay session and everything is still missing. Comparing the two workspace xml files, they're both the same, yet one has my live chart annotations and the replay only contains annotations noted during the replay session. I'd like to be able to transfer my live chart annotations into my replay session to review live trading decisions made during the day, after hours at a higher speed, not to practice trading after hours necessarily.

Hi mgin98,

Thank you for your post.

With NinjaTrader 6.5 if you saved your workspace with drawing objects those would be applied regardless of the connection.

However, with NinjaTrader 7 the drawing objects are saved separately from the workspace. If you highlight your drawing object in live trading you can choose to attach that drawing object to the same instrument for all charts going forward. Then in replay those drawing objects will be visible on the chart.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is there a way to set the "attach to: $GBPJPY/all charts" option as the default or global option for a particular object...lines, fibs, etc. ? Selecting the "set default" option on the highlighted object only works on the selected object and the default "attach to" option simply resets itself with each new object. I literally draw many dozens of objects on my chart on a daily basis. Clicking the dropdown on every single object to select the "attach to" option, isn't really a workable approach. Fixing the "set default" option to include the "attach to" dropdown or an option to "save global workspace" would work however.

Comment

Hi mgin98,

Certain drawing tools have templates, but not all of them. If you see a template option you can right click and then select Manage Templates and then save the settings as the Default template.

However, for the drawing tools that do not feature templates you should only need to attach it to the instrument once, and then for any created charts you will see those attached.

Comment

What files will need to be backed up or copied in order to move the annotations from one workstation to another (dev to prod for example)? I can see the annotations going from live to replay on the workstation where the lines were drawn, but a full backup and restore to a 2nd workstation does not restore the annotations like the 6.5/workspace approach used to.

Comment

Hi mgin98,

The files in NinjaTrader 7 that contain your drawing objects are found in the My Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->templates-->Chart Object and Global Chart Objects folders.

If you create a backup of the templates and then restore then any changes made to your charts with drawing tools should transfer over, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanO View Post
              Hi mgin98,

Thank you for your post.

With NinjaTrader 6.5 if you saved your workspace with drawing objects those would be applied regardless of the connection.

However, with NinjaTrader 7 the drawing objects are saved separately from the workspace. If you highlight your drawing object in live trading you can choose to attach that drawing object to the same instrument for all charts going forward. Then in replay those drawing objects will be visible on the chart.
              In NT 7 version 8....I have some global true chart objects in a saved workspace.(set to all NQ charts) ....how does one get those same graphic objects to again appear in that same workspace when you connect to Market Replay for the same particular day....I believe I got this to work in the recent past but cannot remember how....

Thanks....

Playing around with this a bit....I have a bunch of different chart objects showing from 6am to 1:15pm pacific in my workspace...

After connecting to Replay data if I go to 1:15pm immediately before starting live replay, all chart objects appear OK on the chart, but then if you reset replay to start at 6:30am several objects from 6:00 to 6:30 appear OK....but then starting replay live data no objects from 6:30am on will appear on the chart....is this the way this is supposed to work...??...could I have a bad install or something ??

Or after starting replay with a fresh workspace open showing all objects initially before connecting to replay, and then going to 5:00am to start live replay data, no objects will ever appear as the chart progresses through the day....

Thanks....
              Last edited by Alfred; 12-17-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Found the answer to the previous post below I believe...

See NT post 4 at this link...

"Thank you for the clarification. Unfortunately this is a current limitation. Drawing objects placed before making the market replay connection are not available. We are currently tracking this suggestion with ID # 1007. Thanks for your input here."

Personally feel previous draw objects could be useful if also available & shown in replay....

Comment

Alfred, thanks for the feedback, I can understand your point well here and you're correct : this is currently tracked by product management as enhancement suggestion.
                  BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Updated original post here 12 26....

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                    Alfred, thanks for the feedback, I can understand your point well here and you're correct : this is currently tracked by product management as enhancement suggestion.
                    Now I am getting previous draw tools to show in replay after a restore...I knew I had seen this work OK before....you can see in the screen shot below how draw tools are showing both in the future and also remain on the chart as replay progresses....can stop and start reply OK too...can also stop replay and go to an earlier time and restart and objects still show OK past and future....

Playing around a bit more....several hours later when restarted the same replay session to an earlier time just before the open....found that old draw objects did not appear at the open as expected and beyond....but then found that if you halt replay data and reset each chart to a different period,...(you can then also reset the period back to the original if desired)....then draw objects will appear OK past and future upon starting data.

Another way to make this work...perhaps the simplest...after setting the preferred start time in replay, then reload chart template(s) .....then start live replay data.....draw objects will then appear in past and future in replay....this seems to work well...

It seems that Ninja is perhaps close to making this area work OK but needs a bit of tune up to be flawless....

Thanks....
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Alfred; 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post RookieTrader  
                    Started by KennyK, 05-29-2017, 02:02 AM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes