Chart Templates in Strategy Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Templates in Strategy Analyzer

When I apply my chart template to the analyzer, I lose all trades. It is difficult to examine the strategy without having the indicators I am using on the charts.

If I add a moving average, I lose it when I run the next backtest. Is this the way NT works or am I doing something wrong. It is making the analyzer an ineffective tool for examining my strategy.

Thanks,
    Roxie

Hello Roxie,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

Yes, this is the way the strategy analyzer works. If there are any changes to the chart, it does not redraw the executions.

If you would like to add indicators to your strategy chart, this can be done through code. Please see this reference sample on strategy plots.

A quick way to see the syntax for strategy plots is using the strategy wizard's condition builder. If you reference any indicators you will see an option to Plot On Chart. Set this to true and you can then see the add statements needed to plot these.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick response. We will try that.

Comment

change the chart template Strategy Analyzer uses

Is there a way to change the chart template that the Strategy Analyzer uses by default ?
        I realise that I can load a different template after running a backtest (and lose the backtest markup on the chart), but why not have the strategy analyzer load the chart template I want before it generates the backtest markup ?

Comment

splat, after you load the template you want to use in the Strategy Analyzer, please right-click the chart and go to Templates -> Save As Default.
          AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Austin.

I already tried this, and it does not work. For me, the Strategy Analyzer ignores the default chart template, and always uses a plain chart with only candlesticks on it (I tried it again just now). This is with NT7.0.1000.2 .

Does it work for you ?

Comment

Hi Splat,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like it's not the default chart template but was able to identify a couple different elements that the strategy analyzer uses to build the chart.

The chart properties available in the Right Click > Properties screen. If you change properties here, click Set Default, the strategy analyzer uses these.

If you set ANY defaults for data series intervals, then the bar style and colors are used. From the charts Right Click > Data Series screen, you can adjust these values and then Right Click > Set Default for Interval type.

Comment

Thanks, Ryan, I will keep those settings in mind.

Comment

I think the problem I have is related to this thread. Currently I have to manually change the bar spacing to fit my personal preference every time I run a backtest within the Strategy Analyzer. Even after I save the settings as the default chart template (via right-click context menu), the custom bar spacing is lost after subsequent backtesting. Is there a solution to this problem? Also, I'm using custom drawing routines within the strategy (e.g. DrawDot) and don't want to lose them after backtesting. Currently, if I manually re-load default chart template (via right-click context menu), I get the desired bar spacing but lose all drawings.

Comment

Hello qordkfhs,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

Post 7 in this thread indicates how to get some of your custom chart display settings to be represented in the backtest chart.

Bar spacing is unfortunately not controlled by the chart properties or data series defaults. I suggest using the keyboard shortcuts to quickly adjust these within the Strategy Analyzer chart.
                    Control + Down Arrow
                    Control + Up Arrow

Comment

Here's what I understand from post #7:

1. Right Click > Properties > Set Default: but there are no settings for bar spacing here
                      2. Right Click > Data Series: this item is greyed out, I have no idea why

I use the sequence Ctrl + Up/Down Arrow (about 5 times) right now to get the desired bar spacing. It's just tedious to do this every single time I run a new backtest when developing strategy. Am I missing something?

Comment

No, you're not missing anything. Bar spacing is not included with those defaults. It's part of a chart template. We have added this a suggestion, tracked with ID # 917. Thank you for your feedback on this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post jclose
                        by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                        10 responses