Updating Stop and Profit Target Values on the Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating Stop and Profit Target Values on the Fly

I am trying to use variables as my stop and profit target values but it doesn't seem like they are working. I built this in the strategy wizard then opened it up to finish adding the details that can't be done in the wizard. Basically when I enter a long or short position, at the same time I set Variable0 as the stop (based on MIN Low - a tick) after 1 bar I set Variable1 as the profit target (MAX High - 1 tick). I'm using named entries and pairing my profit targets to those named entries. Stops I leave open for future planning for multiple contracts at different profit targets. Here's the code for setting the profit and stop code and setting the variables:
    SetStopLoss("", CalculationMode.Price, Variable0, false);
    SetStopLoss("", CalculationMode.Price, Variable2, false);
    SetProfitTarget("L1", CalculationMode.Price, Variable1);
    SetProfitTarget("S1", CalculationMode.Price, Variable3);
    EnterLong(DefaultQuantity, "L1");
    Variable0 = MIN(Low, LB_Short)[0];
    Print(" Long Entry " + " Long Stop = " + " " + Variable0 + " " + " Close Price = " + Close[0]);
    // Update Long Position Stop and Target Values
    if (Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Long)
    {
    Variable0 = Low[1] + -1 * TickSize;
    Variable1 = MAX(High, LB_Long)[1] + -1 * TickSize;
    Print(" Position Long - Updating Variables " + " Long Stop = " + Variable0 + " Long Target = " + Variable1 + " Close = " + Close[0]);
    }
    As you can see I also print out the values so I can see what is going on. The intent is to have the profit targets and stops move up for a long in a market trending up. I do the opposite for shorts. the problem is, they don't work. I end up geting out of positions either when the conditions switch to the other bias (long bias to short bias) or the end of day close occurs because I have that flag set.

Why aren't variables working as targets? They seem to be updating correctly, and I am setting the variables equal to the value of interest from the previous bar [1] not [0] beause exceeeding a max high on bar 0 won't work.
    thanks
    DaveN
    Last edited by daven; 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM. Reason: Typos

daven, please ensure you reset your stops and targets when you're in a flat position with your strategy - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3222

Also: TraceOrders are helpful to debug your 'under the hood' order behavior more detailed -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
    47 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post aligator  
    Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes