Range Bars Bug Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still got "System.OutOfMemoryException"

After loading all historical tick data into my hard disk, i can open Range bars chart with 60 days back successfully. But when checking the log, there are still a lot of messages of "Failed to call 'Add' method for period type 'Tick': System.OutOfMemoryException" created in log tab. When back testing Range bars chart with 60 days back in Strategy Analyzer window, there are the "System.OutOfMemoryException" messages created in log tab too. Do you think it's a bug? Thanks.

This only happens in NinjaTrader6.5. My computer has 4G memory.

Best Regards,
    Gordon

Comment

Hello Gordon,

In order for me to check the diagnostic files, please send the most recent Log & Trace files.

They can be found in your (My) Documents folder at the folders:

1. NinjaTrader 6.5 > Trace > trace.YYYYMMDD.txt

2. NinjaTrader 6.5 > Log > log.YYYYMMDD.txt

Include a reference to this thread & make it to my attention. You can email it to support AT ninjatrader DOT com.

Thank you,
      ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Email sent

This morning, i got "System.OutOfMemoryException" when opening Range Bars chart with 70 days back. And got another "System.OutOfMemoryException" when back testing Range bars chart with the period of "2009-06-01 to 2009-08-11" in Strategy Analyzer window.

I have emailed you the files of "trace.20100811.txt" and "log.20100811.txt". Wish you can receive the email. Thanks.

Best Regards,
        Gordon

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Chip View Post
        Hello Gordon,

In order for me to check the diagnostic files, please send the most recent Log & Trace files.

They can be found in your (My) Documents folder at the folders:

1. NinjaTrader 6.5 > Trace > trace.YYYYMMDD.txt

2. NinjaTrader 6.5 > Log > log.YYYYMMDD.txt

Include a reference to this thread & make it to my attention. You can email it to support AT ninjatrader DOT com.

Thank you,

Comment

Got response from Support of NinjaTrader

Hi, Everyone

Good Morning!
          This morning, i got response by NinjaTrader support. Unfortunately there's no fix they can offer in this situation here for NinjaTrader 6.5 - loading that amount of tick data as i described would likely result in running out of memory.

In order to back test a strategy, i must load Range Bars with 70 days back. It doesn't make sense to test a strategy just with several days back, Right?

A futures contract will last 3 months more. In order to test a strategy performance, the back testing platform should be able to load Range Bars with 3 months.

If NinjaTrader6.5 can't load Range Bars with 70 days back, NinjaTrader6.5 can't be a tool for back testing Range Bars.

On the other hand, the new NinjaTrader7 can load Range Bars with 70 days back. But NinjaTrader7 user interface isn't good. It need user to do extra works to achieve one job, not easy as NinjaTrader6.5.

For example, when opening a chart in NinjaTrader7, we need to the following extra steps.

1. Double click contract(instrument). NinjaTrader6.5 doesn't need this step because NinjaTrader6.5 remember my last choice.
          2. Need to click 3 times to change the property of "Load data based on" from "Days" to "CustomRange". NinjaTrader6.5 just one click away to achieve this job.
          3. Need to click 4 times to change the property of "Session template" from "<Use instrument settings>" to "Default 24/7" in order to avoid the Gap in chart. NinjaTrader6.5 doesn't need this step.

Another example, when starting a strategy in NinjaTrader7, we need to do an extra step to enable the strategy. In order to change the parameter of a running strategy, we need more steps than NinjaTrader6.5.
          1. After clicking the "Strategy" button in chart window to pop up strategy dialog, need to click the running strategy in Strategy dialog, then double click the property of "Enable" from "True" to "False". Finally the click "Apply" button to disable the running strategy. NinjaTrader6.5 don't need these steps.
          2. After change the parameter of the strategy in Strategy dialog, need to change the property of "Enable" from "False" to "True" in order to let strategy running again. NinjaTrader6.5 doesn't need all these steps.

In general, NinjaTrader7 isn't as user friendly as NinjaTrader6.5. Wish there is better version for NinjaTrader6.5 and NinjaTrader7.

Best Regards,
          Gordon

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by maybeimnotrader, Yesterday, 05:46 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
          Started by Perr0Grande, Yesterday, 08:16 PM
          1 response