Renko, Linebreak, PnF backtesting NT7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renko, Linebreak, PnF backtesting NT7

For reversal bars only, in backtesting it appears these charts will show and order placed at the open of the reversal bar rather then the close of the previous bar in which the order is generated.

This gives better results but it is not valid because it appears to be using the open of the next bar rather than the close of the bar the order was generated on.

As I understand it as the bars form it sets the open when the brick size is met. If the direction of the brick is the opposite of the previous brick, then the open for the current bar is changed.

Is there a fix for this so that the backtesting results will be accurate for these chart types?

Hello NTWolfe,

Unfortunately this is as expected. The Strategy Analyzer only looks at OHLC values of bars and not at intra-day data. We only know the OHLC values after the close of a bar. This means that any action will take place on the beginning of the next bar, since you cannot act in the past.

This applies for all other period types as well.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your time.
      I am not referring to acting in the past, but the order in the strategy and in real time is placed at the close of the bar. In backtesting these chart types it shows the order placed at the open of the next bar and if it is a reversal bar the results will be off.

My question is what can be done in NT7 so that the backtest results are the same as what happens moving forward in real-time (i.e. order placed at the close of the bar, not the open of the next bar).

Someone was able to do this with the a variation of the Renko chart type in NT6.5 he coded it himself and was kind enough to share it, it was called SbsRenko chart type and it showed the true results in backtesting (orders placed at the close of the bar). I wish I knew who to give credit to, maybe he would be a useful resource for NT to collaborate with. I will see if I can find out who it was.

Thanks

Comment

I found a renko chart type that is accurate in NT7 backtesting. It is still call SbsRenko and is on Big Mike's Day Trading Forum. Roonius is the one who created it.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
        24 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post spwizard  
        Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes