Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB default exchange

Hi

I keep getting the following error message when trying to place orders on stocks that are not currently in instrument manager:

Unable to submit order. Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in Instrument Manager.

I add stocks directly from the Chart or from DOM and am using NT7.

This is a little annoying because I could deal with several stocks at the same time and easily forget to assign the exchange to each instrument, not to mention I would have to know which exchange to assign each stock. Is there a way to use IB SMART exchange while trading? Or someway to have IB determine the exchange? Or have the exchange determined and assigned by instrument manager somehow?

Thanks.

Hello shadowfax,

Thank you for your post.

Since you are regularly adding symbols that may not already be included in the Instrument Manager by default, you will want to use the following method.

1. First build a connection to Yahoo (free data for EOD equities): link

2. Connect to Yahoo & bring up a new chart; e.g. AAPL

3. Once you have this chart up just type in the symbol you want & hit enter.

This is called “on the fly” stock creation & it is the best way for setting up equities & ETF’s that are not already included with NinjaTrader. This will also eliminate the need to select the equity instrument’s exchange.

Please let me know if this does not resolve the issue.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chip

Thanks for the quick reply. If I understand your solution, this will require me to do this after-hours, correct?

This is my scenario - I scan for stocks after the open that are making new highs or lows, then I need to open several charts for a list of 5-10 stocks and run a strategy on each chart to trade each stock. So I won't know what the stocks are until after the market opens.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello shadowfx,

As long as you’re connected to a data provider that supports equities you should be able to type these new symbols directly into the charts.

Please let me know if this is not the case.

Thank you,

Comment

Hi Chip

I use IB and eSignal. If I connect to IB for the data feed then I get an "Unable to subscribe to market data. Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument".
          When I use eSignal, I get the data feed, but when using IB for entering the trades, I get the first error message from this post.
          I know the easy way is to assign the exchange every time I load the chart - but it is a pain in neck, especially during the first 30 minutes of market open when everything is fast and crazy. And I get the same error for almost all the ETFs.
          Let me know if you have other suggestions.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello shadowfax,

So that I can see what might be taking place in the background, please send me your log & trace files for one of the effected dates.

You can find these in your (My) Documents folder in the folders:
            1. NinjaTrader 6.5 > Trace > trace.YYYYMMDD.txt
            2. NinjaTrader 6.5 > Log > log.YYYYMMDD.txt

If you are using NinjaTrader 7 then just substitute 7 for 6.5 in the file path above.

Make sure to attach these text (.txt) files to your response/email to my attention at support AT ninjatrader DOT com

Thank you,

Comment

IB default exchange

Hi,

I have the same problem. Did you find any solution?

I often get the same error message with Nasdaq symbols. To solve it, I have to go to the Instrument Manager, select the stock, press Edit and the select the Nasdaq in the Exchanges box. It is really painful. It also often happens that I have to add manually the symbol.

I use NinjaTrader 7, I don't have these problems with 6.5.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello eszakacs,

Unfortunately, some exchange other than default will need to be defined for each instrument you load to avoid seeing this error message. Sorry for any inconvenience this results in, but a change here is on development's list of future considerations.
                KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I also think this is an annoying and unnecessary message

Comment

BIG Ninja problem

Hi,
                    I have the same problem as other people had. "Unable to subscribe to market data. Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument". It is really painful and I cant use NinjaTrader in practical real life trading. And I noticed that people who are using Interactive Brokers had this problem. I reported this issue to Ninja and several tech guys tried to help me but no practical solution yet. Should I switch / downgrade to NT 6.5? I am a paid subscriber but cant use NT for a month. I am seriously considering to cancel my subscription because its a waste of money. I found that I'm not alone. Many people has the same issue.
                    Last edited by Asterix; 08-24-2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Hello Asterix,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration.

We do our best to include as many instruments as possible with the software by default, but some instruments will require manual configuration.That said, we are happy to help you to configure things as you'd like. If you'll follow up with the email you mentioned, we would be happy to further assist.

Comment

Hi Kyle,
                        I appreciate your quick response. I am trading just NYSE and Nasdaq stocks only. While the market is running in full speed it is a real shock when hit by "Unable to subscribe to market data. Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument" message. Moreover it is for almost all stock symbols. One guy from NT showed me how to manually configure each stock symbol. That's not the solution.
                        So please do whatever magic you can to disappear this BIG issue.

Comment

Hi Asterix,

As you'd mentioned that you were already in contact with us via email, please reply to one of those emails to open the case again and we'll go from there.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Kyle,
                            I replied the message. Please have a look and find the real solution. Configuring symbols one by one manually is not the way I want to use NT. I paid NT for faster and more convenient transactions.
                            Last edited by Asterix; 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Has this issue been looked into yet? I stopped using NinjaTrader 7 about one month ago because I was also getting the same frustrating message when I am connected to InteractiveBrokers and try to enter a new symbol. With NT 6, I never had this problem. When you were connected to IB you could type in any symbol on the fly and it would come up. It seems so ridiculous that a new and improved version does not perform this essential task?

I can't use NT 6 anymore because somehow my computer got corrupted and I keep getting error messages when I try to launch the NT 6 software. I have reloaded NT 6 but this does not help as it is an issue with my computer. Until than I have to wait for this NT 7 issue to get resolved someday.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ghoul
                              by ghoul

Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes