Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection API Configuration problems

Ninja's,
    Every few weeks I need to uninstall and reinstall Ninja Trader after receiving the following message: Login failed: Unable to initialize API: Configuration failed: Could not open body file. I connect using Velocity Futures. This problem occurs with both version 6.5 and any of the new betas on Windows 7. I love the functionality of Ninja Trader but may be forced to switch if these problems continue especially during trading! I really don't want to but it is what it is. Any help/confirmation/insight would be greatly appreciated. I sincerely hope there is a simple fix to this problem.

Ninja on,

Louis Civitarese

Hello Louis,

Please note that NinjaTrader does not dictate when a connection is lost. It operates like a radio receiver in that it receives a signal from your broker and then displays/reports these signals back to you the trader. When a connection is lost, it is the broker's API that determines this and reports this to NinjaTrader which in turn reports this back to the trader.
    The common problems that contribute to this are:
    • ISP issues
    • hardware firewall issues changing IP addresses frequently
    • Dynamic ISP address switching the address frequently intraday. Usually this happens once a week but you may want to check with your ISP. If they do change daily, a static IP address may work.
    • With Windows XP SP2, if you have more than 10 open TCPIP socket connections open (10 programs making connections through the internet) windows will randomly shut down some connections
    • Broker servers having problems
    • Check for software, such as (corporate) firewalls, spyware and anti-virus software, that could be interfering the connection
    Could it be you experience the disconnection at the same time every few weeks? If so, please check if your broker is performing maintenance on their server, which could cause this error message.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,
      I'm trying to understand this. When I get that message and I cannot connect for days without reinstalling Ninja Trader and setting up the exact same connection there is an issue I need to discuss with my broker? Thanks in advance!
      Lou

Comment

Hello Lou,

I see - I was not aware that you are unable to re-connect for days after the occurrence of the error message.

The error itself not caused by NinjaTrader, however you should be able to re-connect much sooner. Instead of uninstalling NinjaTrader, can you please try recreating a new TT connection via Tools-->Acccount Connections and delete the current one. Please let me know if this will allow you to re-connect.

Comment

Jason,
          This also does not work. I have confirmed with my broker that the information put into the connection setup is correct. Please let me know how we need to proceed/what information you may need to diagnose the problem at your convenience. Thanks again.

Lou

Comment

Hello Lou,

Did you try deleting the Config.xml file when the error occurred?

Is your broker able to reset your current TT connection or provide a new TT connection to check if this will solve the issue?

In order to troubleshoot the issue I would need to reproducible scenario. Were there any consistencies when the error occurred for the first time in a new installation?

Comment

Jason,
              I did delete the file after the problem occurred and still receive the same message. My broker insists that the connection is 100% fine. I have to believe them as I have never been disconnected after being connected to the server in three months. It happens when one of two things occur: 1. I log off from ninja trader and turn off the computer. then when I turn it on the next day it gives me that message. 2. When the computer freezes while using Ninja Trader is connected. Note: If the computer freezes and Ninja Trader is not open this problem does not occur. Thanks.

Lou

Comment

Hi Lou,

Just to clarify - if you were to shut down NinjaTrader, then restart and attempt to connect, you'll receive this message every time?

What operating system are you using? Is it fully updated and patched?
                KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,
                  Correct, when I open it back up tomorrow the same message will appear. I am using Windows 7 and yes it is updated and patched as per Microsoft's schedule. The only way I know to fix it is to uninstall Ninja Trader and manually delete all files including history and workspace files.

Best,
                  Lou

Comment

Hello Lou,

The next time the error message occurs, please proceed as follows. Create a backup file to save all your settings and data.

Subsequently send the backup file and your TT connection parameters, so we can test it on our end. Please send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. Put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header and reference this forum thread.

Comment

Jason,

What Windows registry TCP/IP settings are necessary to run NT 6.5? I goofed mine up trying to speed up the TCP/IP handling. Now I cannot get NT to start. Even after reinstallation and restarts twice on top of default reset to windows original TCP/IP settings.

And I was just getting ready to buy the NT platform. What luck.

Ken

Comment

Hello Ken,

NinjaTrader will connect through one of the IP addresses and ports below in order to connect its license server.

IP addresses – 74.200.197.238 & 64.38.21.160
                        Ports – 80 & 443

Please ensure these are not blocked on your end.

Comment

Port tests

Thank you, Jason for the information. I tested both ports successfully. No problem there.

I will attempt to test the two IP addresses you listed below. Will they answer when I call? I hope so.

Ken

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                          Hello Ken,

NinjaTrader will connect through one of the IP addresses and ports below in order to connect its license server.

IP addresses – 74.200.197.238 & 64.38.21.160
                          Ports – 80 & 443

Please ensure these are not blocked on your end.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Ken,

Good to hear the ports tested successfully.

Please let me know if you experience issues testing the IP addresses.

Comment

wow you expereince the same problem as mine

here's my post

anyways, the commonality between us two is that BOTH of us are using VELOCITY futures

my guess is it's got something to do with them....

i mean i don't know

i had high hopes for velocity and ninja platform but if it keeps messing up like this not even a WEEK into use..... i dont know

this is frustrating beyond words

by the way, when i encountered this problem the very first time, a support rep told me to "repair DB" within options

that did the trick the first time

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes