Interactive Broker limit overrides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interactive Broker limit overrides

Hi, I have searched but cannot find an answer.
    I will explain what I am trying to do which then maybe an alternative may be offered....

Currently I am using NT6.5 (free version) to test my ideas connecting to interactive brokers (TWS). Once I work it out I intend to switch this on - so there is a possibility this affects things.
    So currently I am using SIM101 account in NT, the next step is to use the paper trading account in TWS, and then go completely live.

Basically, I want to use NT6.5 to automatically enter a series of long trades using an automated strategy, based off a trigger (for example cross of a MA). At the same time the strategy will automatically set the stop for these entries, with NO take profit levels. The strategy will run during the day, and at the end of the day I will manually and with discretion close out only SOME open positions at the close of the market, if they are still profitable.
    This is where I have the issue.... I assume then that I have to then shut down the strategy on NT prior to the end of day, so that no exit trades are executed, and that the next day, the strategy within NT will have different quantities showing - that is - i will not necessarily want to Sync the NT and TWS amounts.
    Problem then becomes if I manually change any stops for the exisiting orders in TWS, will this affect the NT strategy again. (Maybe I need to open a separate account at the end of the day in TWS and transfer the open positions? )

Basically I am wondering if a strategy can automatically put in my entries and initial stops, and I manually look after the stops and exits after the end of the day..... Is there an easy or existing way to do this that I am missing? thanks.

ps the heading for this thread should be changed to say something like "Combining Automatic and manual trading" - thanks.
    Last edited by Adina; 08-25-2010, 12:29 PM. Reason: forgot something.

One option to consider...

One option to consider using is the ATM Strategy management methods available in NinjaScript. I think this is a great way to automate the entry of an order and then turn over the management of the trade to the user.

For more info, see:

-Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary - I did not realise this as I am still only using NT6.5 - I guess this is all in NT7
      I will follow this up...and I guess I will have to download NT7 - unless others have possible solutions.

A couple of other quick questions if I may....

Does this allow for pyramiding/scaling in - So that new entries based of the previous entries are possible, Or do you need to run a variety of separate strategies?

Are there issues regards how quickly the manual part can be used? eg; say I wish to manually override mid way through the day rather than the EOD?

thankyou.

Comment

Adina,

What I suggest is to use your NinjaScript strategy to generate new positions without accounting for anything historically at the beginning of each day. So starting your strategy tomorrow would not take into account what the strategy would have done today. Then use the ATM strategies called from within the NinjaScript strategy to manage your trades however you see fit.

You can pyramid if you program to do so. This is not a problem. When you use ATM strategies to manage your open positions you can modify them however you see fit whenever you see fit.

I suggest you try out the SampleAtmStrategy preexisting with your NT install to see how it works.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks Josh - do in need NT7 or is this all possible using NT6.5?

Comment

Possible in 6.5.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post Jon17