Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 6.5 Install problems

I am getting an error where NT v6.5 will not start up:

After NT v6.5 installation which requires admin privileges and starting NT and entering license key - NT 6.5 installs and runs perfectly when logged in the admin account.

When I log off admin and log into a Power User account, doubling clicking on the NT desktop icon starts the install process then halts giving the error message "File C:\DOCUME~1\OTHERU~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\temp2.tmp was rejected by digital signature policy."

This appears to try to access a temp directory of the admin account, which cannot be done from other accounts. It is my habit, due to security issues, to only use the admin account when performing admin functions, and using my power user account for normal use of the PC. The desktop icon does not even provide a "Run As" option when right-clicking on it. I need to run NT while logged in the power user account.

Any recommendations?

Temp work around

After right-clicking on the NT desktop icon and viewing the properties, I see that the "Start in" parameter is "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\"

After modifying it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\NinjaTrader.exe" I can now right-click on the NT desktop icon and select "Run as" then select the admin account - so far seems to be working well in sim mode. I see this as only a temporary workaround and hope to obtain a solution that allows me to run NT under a limited or power-user account.

(I have used MetaStock for years and am looking into using NT and will be testing it out in sim mode before buying a live license.)

Comment

Hello cburgess,

Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader:
      • Close all running applications.
      • Then from the Start menu select --> Control Panel --> Add and Remove Programs.
      • From Add and Remove Programs select NinjaTrader 6.5 and click Remove.
      • Then you will need to clear your internet browser cache and history. You will clear this from within your internet browser (with IE, Tools-->Options, delete cookies and files, clear history).
      • Reboot your machine.
      • Once these steps are completed, download NT6.5 from the link below:
        Download

If the issue persists this indicates that the uninstaller file is missing since the customer may have used registry/cleaning software that removed the uninstaller file. You need to use the Microsoft Uninstaller Tool to Uninstall NinjaTrader. Once NinjaTrader is uninstalled you will be able to install NinjaTrader successfully.

The uninstaller tool takes 5 seconds to run once installed on the system. Once you run the uninstaller tool select NinjaTrader from the list and select remove. Now NinjaTrader will install successfully.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
      Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Install from Admin only or "Run As" in a poweruser account

Christopher,

I have followed all of your instructions, even using the Clean Disk windows utility to clear all temp files and browser files.

Now a questions before I install NT, since some programs install fine in a power-user account and some require the install be done only when logged into the admin account. Can I run the installer from the power-user account using the "Run as" feature, or do I need to be fully logged into the admin account?

[edited to add] ... I am installing this on a new PC with a fresh install of Win XP64 SP2, thus no registry junk is involved. The uninstall went fine. This PC has only two user accounts, admin and a power-user.

regards,

charles
        Last edited by cburgess; 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM. Reason: info

Comment

cburgess,

You will need to use a full administrator account for this as I recall.
          KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok...so I will log off and log into the admin account and install NT 6.5. Previously I entered the license key while logged in as admin. Do I run the fresh install as admin or can I log back into my poweruser account and run it to enter the license key?

Comment

cburgess,

Either way would work. If you intend to use the power-user account, that would be the best place to install and enter the key.
              KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                cburgess,

Either way would work. If you intend to use the power-user account, that would be the best place to install and enter the key.
                The installer requires either being logged in as admin or while in poweruser right-clicking and select "Run as" to run the exe as admin. Either way the NT downloader downloads the setup files into the "File C:\DOCUME~1\admin~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\temp2.tmp" where it cannot be accessed from the poweruser account. But I did find a workaround:

Logged in as admin: run the NT downloader, then copy the setup files into another folder that is accessible from all accounts - a C:\download\ninjatrader folder works - then run the 1c1f28.msi file and install. Log off the admin account.

Login the poweruser account and start NT from the desktop icon, it now looks for the installer in C:\download\ninjatrader folder and starts up fine, enter license key and you are good to go.

Since this requires getting into normally hidden system folders that most users shouldn't mess with, I see the only real solution for most users is for you folks to tweak the downloader and installer not to require admin privileges to install (unless the program requires inserting or hooking dll files and such into the windows folder, admin is not really neccessary) or if needed just direct the downloader to download the installer files to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Temp which is a hidden system file that most users wouldn't normally find on their own - but will allow the installed NT to work under any account. The installer can be coded to cleanup after itself after a finished install to delete the install files.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                Started by ScottW, Today, 06:09 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred