Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading 2 strategies at the same time and other

I have a few questions:

1. I have been autotrading 1 strategy against by IB account and I have another strategy using the same insrtument that I would like to start trading at the same time. One strategy closes out open positions at the end of the day and the other will hold a position for multiple days.

a. Is there anything I should be concerned about when auto trading two different strategies at the same time on the same instrument?

b. When I disconnect and reconnect NT from Trader Work Station and restart the one strategy that will carry a position overnight will the strategy begin managing the open trade as per the program?

2. Do you know of any reason why I get different monthly PP results on the daily chart vs an intraday chart (using the pivot indicator Daily Bars). I confirmed the intraday is correct. Why wouldn't the daily chart reflect the correct monthly PP?

Thanks

Hello 561timw,

The main thing you should keep in mind is that there is no communication between the strategies. Your net account position will be reflective of activity with both strategies.

If the strategy position matches the account position, then NinjaTrader will submit any appropriate exit orders as long as Immediately submit orders is on. There are many potential outcomes depending on various settings and account / strategy position used. Please see here which details the expected behavior depending on these factors.

See here for more information on how pivot points are calculated.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 09-09-2010, 11:34 AM.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The main thing you should keep in mind is that there is no communication between the strategies. Your net account position will be reflective of activity with both strategies.

I understand that the strategies are separate and do not communicate which is ok because the two strategies are completely independent of each other. One is a daily strategy (in/out same day) and the other is a multi-day strategy (in/out in 1 or more days).

If the strategy position matches the account position, then NinjaTrader will submit any appropriate exit orders as long as Immediately submit orders is on. There are many potential outcomes depending on various settings and account / strategy position used. Please see here which details the expected behavior depending on these factors.

I current have my strategy order settings set to "wait until flat before executing live". I also have unchecked the box to cancel my strategy orders upon termination of the strategy. My daily strategy is always turned on before 8:00 and it is coded to not start trading until 8:30. The day always starts flat. But as for my multi-day strategy what setting should I use? My multi-day strategy may have gotten me into a trade the day before and set a stop loss at low of the day and is currently trail the market. I keep NT running all night. Next morning I want to turn on my daily strategy on as usual. Except this time instead of starting flat my account shows open 1 long. What are the correct settings to accommidate this situation?

Comment

Tim, the settting is global for both strategies - if you want to 'jump' in the open historical trade the multiday would have > you would need to use the 'immediately submit' setting and ensure the overall strategy position at startup (for both strategies) is reflected in your account.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So I am clear. In order for the multi-day strategy to function correctly (ie: continue to manage my open trade once strategy is turned off and then restarted) I would need to have the 'immediately submit' activated? By doing this NT would recognize that I have one open position and if a change in my stop loss was required per my code it would process that order request. Correct? When the strategy is turned off because I have unchecked the box to cancel my strategy orders upon termination of the strategy all my strategy stop orders placed will remain open with IB (I will still see them on my TWS). Correct?

When I launch my daily strategy "which the code requires a flat position before executing" will my open position with my multi-day strategy provent my daily code from executing trades or does NT have a way to distinguish that the open position is not related to the daily strategy and therefore trade as normal?

Comment

Yes, mostly correct.

However:
            By doing this NT would recognize that I have one open position
            NT doesn't recognize that you have an open position. You will have to make sure that your strategy position is in line with your account position.

When the strategy is turned off because I have unchecked the box to cancel my strategy orders upon termination of the strategy all my strategy stop orders placed will remain open with IB (I will still see them on my TWS). Correct?
            Whether the NinjaTrader strategy can manage these orders for your strategy is dependent on whether the historical strategy execution information for these orders matches exactly with the actual order executions.

When I launch my daily strategy "which the code requires a flat position before executing" will my open position with my multi-day strategy provent my daily code from executing trades or does NT have a way to distinguish that the open position is not related to the daily strategy and therefore trade as normal?

Your open position for the other strategy will not affect the other strategy here.
            Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Perr0Grande  
            Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes