Invisible Stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invisible Stops

If a trade with an ATM strategy (which has a simulated stop) is open, and NT is disconnected manually, or the NT/computer restarts. then when i reconnect, the stop order is no longer visible so i place a new sell stop order. But when the price goes through my stop order the position simple reverses because the new stop closed the long position but the old invisible stop has opened a new short position (occurred twice, once i was too late to realize i had a position open and lost $)

Example

1. Entry at 1112, sell stop (#1) at 1110
    2. NT is disconnected manually / computer restarts
    3. Sell stop (#1) is not visible on the chart / orders tab (although the position & targets are visible, i cannot press close to cancel all unfilled order because i have a position open)
    4. A new sell stop (#2) is placed
    5. when price goes through 1110, the sell stop (#2) gets filled, but then also the sell stop (#1) gets filled.
    - the position has just reversed and now i have a unwanted short position in the market.

What am i doing wrong here? does this have something with to do with simulated stop orders? how can i prevent this from happening again?

thank you for your time in advance

Hi ImaNinja2,

Thank you for your post.

The behavior of stops is expected here. What is occurring is that when you lose connection the OCO feature of stops and targets can no longer be handled by NinjaTrader.

The orders still rest with your broker and are waiting to be filled but they will no longer shown as part of an ATM strategy since those unique to NinjaTrader.

When reconnecting if you go the orders tab you can manually clear the pending stops and targets by canceling those orders. Thereafter, you can submit stops and targets manually for your desired open position.

The other thing you will want to do if you lose connection is contact your broker regarding the open positions, and the associated stop-loss and profit targets.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When reconnecting if you go the orders tab you can manually clear the pending stops and targets by canceling those orders. Thereafter, you can submit stops and targets manually for your desired open position.
      Ryan, the problem is that i am not seeing any pending orders in the order tab. this is what scares me, the simulated stops are completely hidden.

Comment

Hi ImaNinja2,

Can you please forward me your log and trace files for the date that this occurred.

Trace files will be located by going to My Documents->NinjaTrader 6.5->Trace-> trace.2010xxxx.txt
        Log files will be located by going to My Documents->NinjaTrader 6.5->Log->log.2010xxxx.txt

You can forward those files to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com, and please reference this thread, and around what time the trades occurred.
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

files forwarded to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
          47 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post aligator  
          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM