Pat Systems Connection Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pat Systems Connection Issues

My PAT Systems connection has been up and down all morning (since 10:26 AM ET). I called my broker and they have not received any other reports. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Thanks

Hi morpheus,

Thank you for your post.

I have not heard of any similar Patsystems issues. Now, a connection state between NinjaTrader and your broker/market data vendor is not dictated by NinjaTrader. The NinjaTrader application only reports the connection state as it is reported by the API you are connected through. NinjaTrader behaves like a radio receiver in that it receives signals from the connected server. If the signals are not coming through, the underlying broker/market data vendor API reports this to the NinjaTrader application which in turn reports this back to you. Once a loss of connection is reported, NinjaTrader or the underlying API wil continuously try to re-establish a connection. Common reasons that contribute to connection stability are:
    • ISP issues
    • Hardware firewall changing IP addresses frequently
    • Dynamic IP addresses changing frequently intraday. Usually this happens once a week buy you may want to check with your ISP. If they do change daily, requesting a static IP address may help.
    • With Windows XP SP2, if you have more than 10 open TCPIP socket connections (10 programs making socket connections through the internet) Windows will randomly shut down some connections
    • Broker/market data servers may be experiencing temporary downtime
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
      Hi morpheus,

Thank you for your post.

I have not heard of any similar Patsystems issues. Now, a connection state between NinjaTrader and your broker/market data vendor is not dictated by NinjaTrader. The NinjaTrader application only reports the connection state as it is reported by the API you are connected through. NinjaTrader behaves like a radio receiver in that it receives signals from the connected server. If the signals are not coming through, the underlying broker/market data vendor API reports this to the NinjaTrader application which in turn reports this back to you. Once a loss of connection is reported, NinjaTrader or the underlying API wil continuously try to re-establish a connection. Common reasons that contribute to connection stability are:
      • ISP issues
      • Hardware firewall changing IP addresses frequently
      • Dynamic IP addresses changing frequently intraday. Usually this happens once a week buy you may want to check with your ISP. If they do change daily, requesting a static IP address may help.
      • With Windows XP SP2, if you have more than 10 open TCPIP socket connections (10 programs making socket connections through the internet) Windows will randomly shut down some connections
      • Broker/market data servers may be experiencing temporary downtime
      Ok, I understand. I've ruled out most of those potential causes for the following reasons.
      • My backup data feed connection (Kinetick) has been rock solid the entire time.
      • I have several other online seesions running concurrently (browser, email, voip, etc.) and they all are behaving normally.
      • I connect to the Internet via a static IP address.
      • I routinely have more than 10 TCPIP sockets open concurrently and XP has never shut anything down.
      • There have been no hardware changes since the last time I traded live (yesterday at 4pm).

So, if I've ruled out ISP/general Internet connectivity issues, hardware changes, and my backup data feed is rock solid, who do you think is the likely culprit?

Thanks

Comment

Hi morpheus,

If none of these are the potential cause can you please remove, repair and recreate the Patsystems connection.
        • Please go to the Tools menu--> select Account Connections--> highlight the connection--> click Remove
        • Then go to the Tools menu--> select Options--> select the Misc tab--> click Repair DB
        • Restart NinjaTrader
        • Please go to the Tools menu--> select Account Connections and recreate the account connection.

Then, after reconnecting please leave Patsystems connection running and then see if the issue persists.
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
          Hi morpheus,

If none of these are the potential cause can you please remove, repair and recreate the Patsystems connection.
          • Please go to the Tools menu--> select Account Connections--> highlight the connection--> click Remove
          • Then go to the Tools menu--> select Options--> select the Misc tab--> click Repair DB
          • Restart NinjaTrader
          • Please go to the Tools menu--> select Account Connections and recreate the account connection.

Then, after reconnecting please leave Patsystems connection running and then see if the issue persists.
          Ryan,

Thanks for the reply but I think the issue has been resolved - and I think you might appreciate this.

I called my broker to inquire about the connecitvity issues at 11:18 AM. And of course they said there were no problems on their end. But I do think it odd that as of 11:40 AM, there have been no additional Pat Systems outages.

Coincidental? I don't think so!

Thanks for the support!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post jaybedreamin  
          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
          6 responses