start time of chart bars screwed up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

start time of chart bars screwed up?

Hello, I seem to be having issues with the way the bars are plotted onto the chart regarding the start time of the bar.

For example, on a 5 min ES chart the very first bar when I mouse over it says 9:35am, when it should say 9:30am. Another example would be a 30min chart, where the first bar of the day should say 9:30am, instead it says 10am even if it is only 9:35, it still reports this as data in the 10am bar when it should be in the 9:30 bar. This is screwing me up bigtime.

I have my time template set to CME US Index Futures RTH - which is set from 9:30am to 4:15pm.

Is there a way to change this display setting? as it is really annoying the hell out of me. When I mouse over the chart at say 9:32 on a 5min chart I want the data within the 9:30 bar on a 5min chart to show it is from the 9:30 bar NOT the 9:35 bar. Please help.

Thanks,
    Brian

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaTrader stamps a bar with the closing time of the bar.

For example, a minute bar with a time of 9:31:00 AM has data from 9:30:00 AM through 9:30:59 AM.

For more information on how NinjaTrader builds bars within Charts please visit - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ChartBars.html

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

Is there a way to change it so that the bar time stamp represents the actual bar it is calculating? I want the 9:30am bar to represent 9:30:00-9:30:59, NOT 9:31am bar representing 9:30:00-9:30:59. This fact is totally messing me up and if you cannot change this I am getting a refund as this screws me up in multiple ways. I need this to display normally.. having a 9:31am bar represent data from 9:30:00-9:30:59 is NOT normal. The problem gets even worse when you go up higher time frames. There needs to be an option to change this or I'm going back to Esignal permanently.

Comment

Brian,

Currently there is not a way to change the way bars are represented within NinjaTrader.

This is on my development team's list of future considerations for the software.
        LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Lowell View Post
          Brian,

Currently there is not a way to change the way bars are represented within NinjaTrader.

This is on my development team's list of future considerations for the software.
          Thank You, but this is something that should have been fixed in a much earlier version of NT, I simply can't believe it's taken this long to address this if it's been brought up before, as this can be a huge issue for people.

PLEASE fix this ASAP, this is a HUGE concern for me, as well as alot of other traders I know who are debating switching from Esignal (which their ease of use of the charting platform simply destroys NT). NT definitely has the edge with automated trading, but if you can't get the charts set up properly all the strategies in the world won't help if they are running on a flawed chart.

Especially when using higher time frames, the way it is now the charts simply don't make sense with the bar time stamps when you glance at them. If you simply had the 9:30am bar represent the data from 9:30:00 to 9:30:59 for a 1 min chart and/or the 10am bar on a 30min chart represent the data from 10:00:00am to 10:29:59am it would be a MUCH MUCH more user friendly experience, less confusing and more straightforward.

I've used Esignal for 7 years straight now and RealTick before that for 3 years, and I've never had a harder time trying to transfer my chart properties/setup like I've had trying to do so with transferring to NinjaTrader.

If NinjaTrader simply made a Chart template transfer wizard so that people switching from a different charting platform eg. Esignal, can just transfer their basic setting to a NinjaTrader chart I believe you would instantly gain an enormous part of the charting platform market share. People want to automate their strategies, but from people I talk to they are all reluctant because no matter how much they play with NT, they simply cannot re-create the look of their charts in NT, and that pretty much ruins any chance of switching to NT for them.

I've played with NinjaTrader for over a year now on the free version and I still to this day cannot replicate my Esignal chart in NinjaTrader. In the Chart Properties box I can't even change the background color of my chart to a Color.RGB(xxx.xxx.xxx) to make the background of my chart the color I want. I have to go into the code and manually add a line of code, things like this = totally unnecessary and burdensome for people trying to switch to NT from another platform.

I like what NinjaTrader has to offer, but to be blunt the ease of setting up charts properly in Ninja Trader is damn near impossible and a BIG drawback to your program. If you addressed this issue seriously you would find LOTS more people switching to NT, but right now switching to NT is a pain in the A$$.

Comment

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your feedback, we'll forward this on to our development team for further consideration.
            LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post love2code2trade  
            Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes