• Time
  • Show
Clear All

timestamp on charts

hello

i am currently using the latest version of 6.5

my problem is as follows

the market opens at 6:30 AM for me since i live in the west coast

and this means on my 5min chart, a new candle stick would have to open at 6:30, and displayed as 6:35am bar on the chart

however, the chart does not open a new candle until a minute and 10 seconds into the trading day

now, i have read that thsi may have something to do with my local pc's internal time clock

but my pc time clearly indicates it's 6:30, and yet ninja fails to open a new bar until a minute into the trading day

the funny thing is, once i close my platform and restart it again after the close, the bars are correctly displayed according to the correct time

so i would like to know what is going on here

as far as i can tell, it's got nothing to do with my pc's time

thx

edit:
    (added a picture to prove my point)

-----------------
    UPDATE
    -----------------

i'm writing an update since it seems like you guys haven't seen any of your other ninja customers experience my problem

so i have noticed that there was a difference in how long it takes for a new 5min bar or any bar to form when it's actually suppsoed to

just today and yesterday though, i have tried logging into ninja trader at every 5min intervals

so for example, i open up my ninja trader platform, and ONLY connect to my data provider, which happens to be tradingtechnologies, at 9:00 or 9:05, or 9:10, etc etc

if i do this and time it right, the 5 min bars form pretty close to the actual time

so this had nothing to do with my pc time or intalling new drivers or what have you

the problem itself is still there if i log into my data provider whenever

but i can at least hide the problem if i log in at the right time

so i just thought i would give you an update so perhaps you can more successfully direct future customers who happen to have the same problme i have, or even patch this problem in a future update
    Attached Files
    Last edited by farcry360; 10-11-2010, 06:38 AM.

Hello farcry360,

Thank you for your post.

Please detail the settings (including instrument & data provider) that you are using so that we can attempt to recreate this issue.

Thank you,
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

settings?

well i'm talking in regards to the emini s&p500 futures

so im using the es december contract and my data provideer is tradingtechnologies

weird thing is the bars all correct themselves when i log back into my platform after the close

but when i have it turned on for a couple hours before the market is open, i notice that the opening bar doesn't open until a minute into the bell

Comment

Hello farcry360,

Please note that real-time data is time stamped as per your local PC clock with Trading Technologies.

I suggest to synchronize your PC clock, while NinjaTrader is closed. You can sync your PC clock by double clicking on the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop. Once you have done that, click on Internet Time tab and then click Update. Your PC clock should now be updated.

Subsequently check if the issue persists.

In addition, please note that NinjaTrader time stamps bars at the closing time. So a 5 minute bar time stamped as 6:45 contains data from 6:40:00 up to 6:44:59
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ok so i have attached 3 pictures to prove my point

as i have said, i do not think it's got to do with my pc clock

like i've said before, i can clearly see that it's 6:30 (my local time for market open), and yet a new bar (6:35am) has yet to open

oddly enough it only opens that new 5 min bar like a minute into the bell

i have attached 3 pictures of a 5min candle chart to show you what is happening

first, if you look at "notopening" picture, you are seeing the 6:30 candle when the market has JUST openend

so that means i should be seeing a new 6:35 candle but it's yet to appear

"before_reboot" is the picture showing when the 6:35 candle actually opens, like a minute and 10 seconds after the opening bell

and here's the funny thing, which should also indicate it's got nothing to do with my internal time clock (just to make sure, i have followed your advice and synch'd my time)

as i've wrote in my previous posts, this problem corrects itself if i log back into my platform

so if you look at "after_reboot", you can see the correct "high-low-open-close" values on the candle bars

you can clearly see it yourself

pay attention to that red candle bar at 6:30 between the "before_reboot" picture and "after_reboot" picture

the HLOC values are different, and corrected

what's up with this?

(submitting this post at 6:44am PST)

(i have edited the pictures so that it's easy to see, included all 3 pictures into 1 side by side comparison)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by farcry360; 09-30-2010, 07:59 AM.

Comment

if you flip back and forth between the "before_reboot" and "after_reboot" picture, you can see the differences between the volume levels of the 6:30am candle

so the red candle you see there is the 6:30am bar that is registered on the chart

if you look at "before_reboot", the volume surges on that 6:30 candle because the market is already open

but if you look at "after_reboot", the bars are corrected and the opening volume rightly appears in the 6:35 candle

Comment

farcry360,

Thanks for the additional information.

Please proceed as per NinjaTrader_Jason's directions in post number 4.
              KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                farcry360,

Thanks for the additional information.

Please proceed as per NinjaTrader_Jason's directions in post number 4.
                if you read my posts after that you can see it's not the correct solution

check the attached picutres please

if the problem arises from an incorrectly synched pc clock, why does it correct the bars and volume if i log out and back into the platform?
                Attached Files

Comment

farcry360,

I understand that you do not believe this to be the correct solution. Please sync the PC's clock anyway. This will take no more than a few seconds and we can move on to other solutions later if needed.

Per your second question -
                  Historical data comes with timestamps from the server, so your local PC's clock would not be used.
                  KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by farcry360 View Post
                    (just to make sure, i have followed your advice and synch'd my time)
                    well i have done it before your last post but the problem occured even after that

well, i'll have to see tomorrow if this occurs again

will update here if it works or not

Comment

to give you an update, that trick did not work

just to clarify, if you hadn't read my post, my pc clock CLEARLY says it's 6:30am pst(market open), and i shoudl be getting my 6:35 bar on my 5min chart

but it takes about a minute for the bar to appear

so for example, at 6:30, the market opens, and instead of creating a new 6:35 bar, whatever data that is being received is put into the 6:30 bar

and a minute or so later, the 6:35 bar finally appears

if i close my ninja trader and log back in, the bars are all corrected and the High-Low-Open-Close values are changed to the correct values

Comment

Hi farcry360,

Can you please go to www.windowsupdate.com and run all of the updates. I have seen it recently with TT and HP computers that the TT feed will be a minute slow if the Windows Updates, and in particular a Network Adapter update are not applied.
                        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
                          Hi farcry360,

Can you please go to www.windowsupdate.com and run all of the updates. I have seen it recently with TT and HP computers that the TT feed will be a minute slow if the Windows Updates, and in particular a Network Adapter update are not applied.
                          hello ryan

when you replied to my problem, i thought it was interesting that you mentioned other users were having trouble with HP computers

because i myself am using an HP

so i went ahead and updated my windows (i usually do them only once a week or 2)

but as i am looking at the charts right now, the emini s&p500, the problem is still there

before, the new bar didn't appear for about a minute and 10 seconds

now it takes even longer, a minute and 40 seconds for a new 5min bar to form

i mean this may be a small problem

but when i plot drawings on charts, i need the bars in the correct timeframe to display the accurate High-Low-Open-Close

just to make sure, can you guys reproduce the same problem using trading technologies?

i am using 5 min charts, and the new bars are not opening when they are supposed to...

Comment

ok now it's taking 2 minutes for a new bar to form...

this is becoming quite serious now..

there is no "uniformity" to when the bars form

if i am using a 5 min chart, i need each bar to represent exactly 5mins of trading data

not some random number that may be 6 minutes or even 7

just for your information, i have updated to the latest ninja trader version several days ago

but the problem existed even before the update

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
                              Hi farcry360,

hi ryan, could you please elaborate on the "network adapter" update?

i would really like to have this problem fixed

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post cmtjoancolmenero  
                              Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes