The mechanics of importing custom indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mechanics of importing custom indicators

In the following questions could someone tell me if any of those actions I’m asking about would generate any error messages during those described processes?

1) Under the circumstances, and, as an example, of trying to import ParabolicSARfix.zip into NT to be compiled would the end result be that there will be 2 indicators available for use in NT; that is, one with the name ParabolicSAR (already there) and a second one with the name ParabolicSARfix?

2) Forget whether it might be confusing, could I have renamed the zip file, ‘ParabolicSARfix.zip’ as ‘X.zip’ and, after importing it, would the indicator be available as ‘X’?

And
    3) If I renamed an entirely different custom indicator, let's say SMA.zip as ParabolicSAR.zip and then imported it into NT would that overwrite the correct version of the ParabolicSAR (that has already been compiled into NT) with that incorrect version?

Thank you.

Hello rsuess1,

The name of the zip file doesn't matter here. It's what's contained within the zip. You would need a file called ParabolicSarfix.cs within the zip file to see this imported.

NinjaTrader will overwrite .cs files that have the same name.

The name of the zip file won't impact the name of the indicator that's imported.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, RyanM, but please let me paraphrase your statements to be sure that I understand what you have said:
      1) Are you saying that no matter what I renamed that ‘ParabolicSARfix.zip’ file (‘X.zip’ or any other named zip file) because it would still unzip to contain ‘ParabolicSARfix.cs’ then that is the name of the indicator that would be imported?

And

2) Then to move my question 1 level down, if I were foolish enough to unzip that ‘ParabolicSARfix.zip’ file and renamed the ‘ParabolicSARfix.cs’ file contained within it to ‘X.cs’ and rezipped it, would that lead to the import of an indicator named ‘X’ or would the fact that within that ‘X.cs’ file were references to ‘ParabolicSARfix’ just lead to compiling errors?

Comment

1) Yes, the name of the indicator file is what matters here. The name of the .zip file won't change the name of the indicator.

2) Renaming a .cs file would give you compile errors because of all the NinjaScript generated code that may be looking for the old files. If you want to rename a file, you must first open the indicator in the NinjaScript editor, then Right Click > Save as.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post rocketman7  
        Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
        7 responses
        0 likes