Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can you pan a chart up and down, not just right to left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you pan a chart up and down, not just right to left?

Can I pan a chart up and down somehow? Like ThinkorSwim's charts?

Hello timothymhanna

Thank you for your post.

This feature has been suggested & our Development Department are researching it further. Currently it is not available but I will make sure to send this item once again.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

You can actually do this, just hit the control key then left click the right (price) margin. When you move your mouse up and down the chart wont scale at all, but you can move the chart up and down. Just make sure to have the chart you want to do this to selected otherwise it wont work. I like having my charts on a fixed scale but have the issue of the price never being centered or running off the chart completely. I use this method to address it.
      Last edited by Ac1d27; 10-19-2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

That's nice to know but it seems odd to me that you can't just pan in any direction by holding the left mouse button down when the cursor is over the blank area of the chart. That would be much more natural behavior.

Darell

Comment

Genious

Originally posted by Ac1d27 View Post
          You can actually do this, just hit the control key then left click the right (price) margin. When you move your mouse up and down the chart wont scale at all, but you can move the chart up and down. Just make sure to have the chart you want to do this to selected otherwise it wont work. I like having my charts on a fixed scale but have the issue of the price never being centered or running off the chart completely. I use this method to address it.
          Just wanted to thank you for figuring this out. This has been driving me just a tad nuts. Since the standard customer service message given each time the customer service rep displays lack of knowledge of there own product, I think Ninja should send you a check for your services,

thanks!
          mr

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the CTRL+mouse drag trick, thats a big help.

One problem I do have with the scaling is though, that the price action doesn't seem to be confined to the upper and lower limit of the chart, it can actually go off the visible part of the panel...see image circled in blue

I realise you can drag the mouse to compress/expand the vertical axis, and use CTRL mouse drag to raise/lower the chart vertically, but it does not automatically adjust the vertical scale to ensure that any price action is still contained within the visible part of the panel.

This can be disastrous if there is a large and rapid movement of price action...it will go off the panel and you could waste precious moments dragging the mouse around to pull all the action back in view. It remains out of view until it returns or you re-scale it.

Older versions of NT did not go off the panel like this.

BTW, whats that blue diamond? It just appeared halfway through setting up my chart and I don't what its for...
            Last edited by Antraman; 11-04-2010, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Hello Antraman,

To return the chart to Automatic Scaling please click on the "F" in the upper right hand corner of your chart window as seen in the attached screen shot.

I have also provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over Navigating a Chart within NinjaTrader 7.

The blue diamond appears to be generated by one of the indicator you have applied to your chart window presently.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
              Attached Files
              Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Awsome, thanks mate. That did the trick.

The blue diamond is with the volume profile indicator, but I have no idea what is used for. It seems to change to the latest data when you apply a change to the Indicators properties...why you would need that, I can't think...
                Last edited by Antraman; 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Antraman View Post
                  Awsome, thanks mate. That did the trick.

The blue diamond is with the volume profile indicator, but I have no idea what is used for. It seems to change to the latest data when you apply a change to the Indicators properties...why you would need that, I can't think...
                  Glad to hear that did the trick.

I have provided additional information below regarding the Volume Profie Indicator within NinjaTrader.

The VolumeProfile indicator plots a real-time volume profile as a vertical histogram on a chart. Each bar represents the volume (number of trades) that accumulate at each bar from the time the indicator is started or re-started on the chart. Bars are color coded to represent number of buys (trades at the ask or higher), sells (at the bid or lower) and neutrals (between the market). This power volume indicator provides you with instant feedback to gauge where support and resistance levels are and if their is accumulation or distribution taking place at those levels. A cyan colored diamond is automatically drawn at the starting bar of the VolumeProfile indicator.This is a real-time indicator only. It functions only on real-time data and therefore does not plot any values on historical data. If you change any property, interval or instrument on a chart, this indicator will restart and any accumulated real-time data plots will be lost.
                  Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This is case and point of why all of the chart navigation should be controlled via the mouse. You should be able to pan up/down and right/left by just holding the left mouse button. Zoom should be via the mouse wheel. It would be so much easier and way more intuitive. What would be really cool is if you were to zoom in/out at a certain point the chart would change to the next time frame!

Comment

Hi trade.ripper,

Thank you for your feedback!

I'll forward this on to my development team for further consideration.
                      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes
                      Last Post GLFX005
                      by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM