Collapse

NT7 error caused trailing stops to stop modifying and liquidated all strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 error caused trailing stops to stop modifying and liquidated all strategies

I had an NT7 error this morning where NT7 was unable to modify trailing stops in 2 automated strategies and then liquidated all positions in both strategies.

The 1st error read "Unable to modify order...GAIN Error[0] New order activity suspended"
    This exact error occurred with 2 separate strategies less than 2 minutes apart.

Please see the attached Log output. I'd like to know what happened and why and what can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again.

-Lou
    Attached Files

Hello Lou,

It looks like the message is coming from Gain. I suggest contacting Gain to see what it's about.

Gain Error: New Order Activity Suspended
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I figured I'd hear that. I asked Gain and they said they're not responsible for what happens with NinjaTrader and that there's no problems or unusual activity w/my account and to contact you guys. So, what do I do with that?

Comment

That message comes from GAIN and is issued when they suspend trading activity. This is usually done around major news events. The behaviour you experienced is expected when that message comes up.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
          That message comes from GAIN and is issued when they suspend trading activity. This is usually done around major news events. The behaviour you experienced is expected when that message comes up.
          Ray,
          Walk me through the chain of events. Did NT7 liquidate my positions and shut down my strategies in response to the GAIN error message?

Comment

bluelou,

Default behavior when an order is rejected is to stop the strategy. In stopping the strategy that includes closing position and cancelling any remaining open orders. This is done because NT has no way of knowing how to proceed from the order rejection.

If this fail safe behavior is not what you want and would prefer to be left in the market you can do so by programming your strategy to use RealtimeErrorHandling set to TakeNoAction. http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...orhandling.htm

Please note should you go down this route you should really be certain that your code can handle all error scenarios that may arise as NT will not provide any protection.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
              bluelou,

Default behavior when an order is rejected is to stop the strategy. In stopping the strategy that includes closing position and cancelling any remaining open orders. This is done because NT has no way of knowing how to proceed from the order rejection.

If this fail safe behavior is not what you want and would prefer to be left in the market you can do so by programming your strategy to use RealtimeErrorHandling set to TakeNoAction. http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...orhandling.htm

Please note should you go down this route you should really be certain that your code can handle all error scenarios that may arise as NT will not provide any protection.

Josh,
              I think NT7 did exactly the right thing by cancelling the open orders associated with the strategy in response to an error by the broker. I've since learned that Gain had a technical problem where they were unable to modify any customer orders at one point this morning.

I'm haggling with Gain for a credit since they caused they error and have admitted so. I'll let you know how it works out.

-Lou

Comment

Thanks for the update on this, lou.
                Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

BTW, Gain declined to issue a credit and told me that how my system responds to their errors isn't their problem. The account rep said "I'm sorry that I can't justify what we've done". Stand up guys over there.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by f.saeidi, Today, 05:56 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
                  Started by Pattontje, Yesterday, 02:10 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Pattontje