Broker server held profit and stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broker server held profit and stops

Hi, I would like to get confirmation if NT7 holds the profit target and stop losses on the PC for automated strategies trading FX, or if they are held at the brokers server, for the following 4 supported data feeds:
    Gain
    PFB
    MBT
    IB
    Thanks

Note: This information is relevant for NinjaTrader 7 only. For NinjaTrader 8, please click here (https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/where_do_your_orders_reside_.htm). CQG Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange. If the exchange does not support a specific order type, the

Comment

Hello Stem1,

As per the first link Radical posted, you will see that orders in a 'Working' and 'Accepted' status reside at the broker or exchange on most occassions.

However OCO functionality resides locally on your PC for most providers. So when you are disconnected and you have two ATM orders active (OCO) at the broker/exchange, the following can occur.

You have a short position with 2 ATM orders (stop loss & profit target). You close NinjaTrader and once you restart it and get re-connected, you are in a long position. This because both ATM orders were filled - one to close the short position and the other that caused the unexpected long position. The order that caused the unexpected long position was not cancelled when the other order was filled, since NinjaTrader was not connected to send the cancel request.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Guys,

Bit of an important issue for those using MBT:

This issue seems to have popped up in a few threads, so rather than start yet another one this appears to be the latest so I'm posting here.

I've just been speaking to MBT, and they are quite clear that Stop orders reside on the client side. Stops are managed by the MBT navigator software and are submitted by that software as market orders once the price is hit. Only limit & market orders reside on MBT's servers.

So, if your machine disconnects or powers off, your stops will not get activated. Not great news given how often NT seems to disconnect from MBT.

I would think this is kind of a big deal hey? You might want to mention this behaviour here:

Note: This information is relevant for NinjaTrader 7 only. For NinjaTrader 8, please click here (https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/where_do_your_orders_reside_.htm). CQG Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange. If the exchange does not support a specific order type, the

Comment

Hello beastment,

Thank you for pointing out. I will forward it to my superiors.

Please note that NinjaTrader does not dictate when a connection is lost. It operates like a radio receiver in that it receives a signal from your broker and then displays/reports these signals back to you the trader. When a connection is lost, it is the broker's API that determines this and reports this to NinjaTrader which in turn reports this back to the trader.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by traderqz, Today, 12:06 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post traderqz  
          Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
          5 responses
          0 likes