Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Beginner questions (instrumentlist/charting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner questions (instrumentlist/charting)

Hello,

I downloaded yesterday the free version of Ninjatrader. My first tests raised some questions.

- I can create instrument lists, but when charting and I want to change the instrument only the default list is shown. I'm unable to find a way to change this to another, personalised, instrument list. I read some remark in the manual suggesting it's not possible to change this list which sounds odd to me. So is it posible to use other instrument lists in the chart? If so, how?

- Is there a way to show a certain number of bars in a chart? I've found the option to change the bar spacing and the bar dimensions which influence the number of bars shown, but I prefer a fixed number of bars. E.g. I want to have 150 bars shown in the chart independent on the size of the chart. Is this possible?

- I noticed that data is loaded extremely slowly using the free version of Ninjatrader with an IB live account. Taking up to several minutes for a 200 bar history. What should be normal? (I suspect my internet connection that's having a lot of issue's lately)

Hope some-one can answer these questions and jumpstart me

grtnx
    Wilco

Hello Wilco,

- When using the chart your desired instrument list is defined in the 'format data series' window. This is the window that pops up when you create a new chart. You will only be able to select the instruments included in your list from the selection you made under the instrument section ‘Type:’ dropdown menu. However, you can bring up the 'format data series' window again via right click and then selecting it in the dropdown menu. You can also access the 'format data series window from the instrument selection dropdown found on the chart.

- In the 'format data series' window you can also set your chart to populate with a set number of bars. To do this under the 'Range Settings' section of the 'format data series' window, select the second option 'bars back'. Then simply input the number of bars you wish the chart to populate.

- The slow population of data is normal as the Interactive Brokers demo account does not offer any Historical Data. NinjaTrader will plot and chart the incoming live data the IB demo account provides however this data will be as slow as the market data must be received live before it can be populated on the chart.

Eamon
    Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2007, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Ninjatrader.

Maybe I was not clear enough as unfortunately your answer does not solve the issue's

- In the format data series I'm unable to select an instrument list. There's a type drop down menu as you mention, but that is only to choose an instrument type (stock, option, future, index). To select another instrument there requieres entering all data which is not what I had in mind. In the instrument manager there were 3 instrument lists predefined (Default, Dow 30 and Nasdaq 100). I created my own lists US futures and Eurex futures. In the chart there's a dropdown menu where I can choose the contracts listed in the instrument list 'Default'. I would like to choose from my own lists, e.g. the contracts defined in US futures instead of the contracts in the Default list. How can I change the instrument list shown in the drop down menu?

- In the format data list I can indeed define the numbers of bars back. This however does not affect the number of bars shown unless the number of bars choosen is very low. If a bigger number of bars is chosen a scrollbar appears at the bottom of the chart. I prefer to work on a large chart with in the corner of my screen a small chart showing the 'big' picture in a larger timescale Now only a few bars are shown in this small chart. I want that 150 or 200 bars are shown. If that makes it hard to distinguish the different bars, that's no problem for me.

- The slow population is not due a lack of historical data. I don't use the IB demo account, I use a live account (actually papertrading, but they are identical to a live apart from the orders not being routed to an exchange and the lack of a security device). Historical data, up tol a few weeks back, actually comes in but as said very slow. What is a normal time for the data to load?

grtnx
      Wilco

Comment

Miscellaneous Support

Hello,

1) Un fortunatley this is not possible for you to use your own instrument list. You will need to add all the instruments you would like to use with the Default list.

2) A lot of things can case data to load slow. For example internet connection PC speed, and time of the market. It also depends on how muchand what type of data you are trying to receive.

Comment

We do not have benchmarks on load time however, IB load time is extremely, extremely slow.
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

List charting

Please tell me if I understand correctly, because I have had the same problem. It is not possible to chart instruments from a custom instrument list? If that is so it is very confusing. What is the reason for this? Are you planning on correcting this in a new version of the software? Thanks

Comment

- It is possible to chart an instrument that exists in a custom lis
              - It is *not* possible to select an instrument to chart from a custom list
              - A custom list is used in the Strategy Analyzer for basket backtesting
              - You can either use the <Default> list for adding custom instruments
              RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Charting

Thanks for your reply. Could you then please tell me how I can chart an instrument that exists in a custom list if I want to create a template chart and trade it?

Comment

luitom,
                  the best way I think for you do do what you're after with regard to using your custom instrument list is to open the Market Analyzer and link it to the chart.
                  Use the Analyzer as your list.
                  From memory...
                  File > New > Market Analyzer.
                  Right click and load the analyzer with the instruments from your custom list (second right-click option).
                  Wait for the slow data feed... :-)
                  Right click on one of the rows and Send to.... Chart.
                  Link the analyzer and chart via the Colour dropdown (top right of window), making both windows share the same colour.

Now when you click on a row in the Analyzer the chart with match.
                  You can change the coloumns in the analyzer via the right click option (last but one option, I think).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post gentlebenthebear  
                  Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Kaledus