Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical Data Import Problem

Hello,

I am trying to import historical daily data of USD/JPY. I did it before with succes for other instruments (oil, gold, indices) but with currency I cant do that.

I have instrument called USDJPY in instrument manager nad the settings are:

Name: USDJPY
    Type: currency
    Tick size: 0,01
    Point value: 1000
    Sim feed start price: 1

The name of the file with datas is: ^USDJPY

The file is preapared as you recomend here:

What can be wrong? There is a message during importing: There has been error on importing historical data. Please check the log.

I import with succes USDJPY daily datas when I created instrument USDJPY as type: index in instrument menager.
    Last edited by Danielj; 10-27-2010, 10:42 AM.

Danielj,

Thank you for your post.

You need to ensure that the txt file name you are importing from matches the instrument in your instrument manager.

A file name such as '^USDJPY' would indicate to NinjaTrader that this is an index. I see from your last edit you were able to successfully import this file by selecting "Index" in the instrument manager. In order to properly import this data as a currency, you will need to rename the file as simply 'USDJPY.txt' (without quotations).

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Ok thank you, it works. But I have another problem. Propably there is something wrong with settings (in instrument manager?). When I open new chart I can see only white background. I use interval daily when I create new chart.

Please help me one more time.

Comment

Danielj,

Are you sure this was daily data that you imported to NinjaTrader or just minute data? Can you bring up a chart if you bring up a 5-minute chart?

Please be aware that daily data is a different data series than minute data. If this was only minute data, you will either need to find a source for the daily data or as a workaround you could use 1440 minute bars as the interval type to replicate daily bars on your chart.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Comment

I am sure I imported daily data. This is the example of few lines from my file USDJPY.txt.

20000103;102.11;102.15;101.31;101.56;100
          20000104;101.46;103.27;101.4;103.25;100
          20000105;103.28;104.37;102.76;104.27;100
          20000106;104.32;105.53;103.97;105.31;100
          20000107;105.27;105.89;104.85;105.35;100
          20000110;105.12;105.37;104.3;105.1;100

What can be wrong?

Comment

Danielj,

What date range do you have selected on this chart from the format data series window (right click on the chart--> select "Format Data Series)?

You will need to make sure that the Start Date and Last Date are within the range of the data you imported.

With the sample data you posted, I was able to bring up a chart with daily bars by setting the Start date to 1/3/2000 and the Last date as today's today (10/27/2010).

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Comment

I was traying display chart (using the sample which I sent you before) both ways. With proper range of data (as you wrote) and by chosing "days back" option. It's not working.

I think the problem may be in the moment where I was creating new instrument in instrument manager. Maybe there is a problem with some settings? Would you be so kind and write me step by step which settings should I chose during adding new instrument?

Thanks a lot

Comment

Danielj,

If you go Tools--> Instrument manager and search for the USDJPY instrument - how many copies do you see listed here?

The USDJPY should have come pre-configured in NinjaTrader. You should not have needed to create a new instrument in the database.

I would suggest resetting your instruments in order to restore the default settings for this instrument.

To reset your instruments please: go to the Tools menu, select the Options menu item, select the Misc tab, and then click on 'Reset Instruments'.

For clarity, I am also attaching a screen shot of the USDJPY settings as they should come by default.

After you have the proper settings configured for this instrument, please try opening a new chart and let me know if you need further assistance with this issue.
                Attached Files

Comment

I reset my instruments...and nothing. It is very strange couse the same file with datas of USDJPY (I added only "^" at the begining of the file) I can load as Index and everything is okay. But when I load as Currency it seems to be ok, but background of the chart is white only with no bars.

I don't know what to do. I have na further questions. Do you have more ideas what can be wrong?

Daniel

And you know what? I Can load this file as currency in NT 7. But in NT 6.5 still nothing. I don't understand.
                  Last edited by Danielj; 10-27-2010, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Danielj,

Can you please send an email to support [at] ninjatrader [dot] com and include 1) Attn: Matthew in the subject line 2) a reference to this thread 3) your most recent log and trace files.

These files can be located under (My) Documents:

1. Trace files are located in (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\Trace\trace.YYYYMMDD.txt
                    2. Log files are located in (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\Log\log.YYYYMMDD.txt

The files for today should be labeled .20101027.txt. If you are using NinjaTrader 7, the files would be located under the same path, except you would use NinjaTrader 7 instead of 6.5

Please attach both of these files to your next response and I will review for further investigation.

Comment

Thanks for helping. I hope they will solve the problem. I did everything what you sad.

Thanks, bye
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Danielj; 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                      Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post chbruno