Problems installing TWS - 64bit Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems installing TWS - 64bit Windows 7

I am having getting the TWS working. When I click on the TWS icon on my desktop, initially, there was a message saying that javaw.exe was missing and could I browse to the file.

Went the C:\Programs(x86)\Java\jre6\bin folder as suggested in another thread here, and pointed the message to it, Now when I click on the TWS icon, nothing happens at all. Well, the Windows mouse pointer suddently turns into the blue revolving circle, then back to the mouse pointer, so I know something actually is happening, but what?

I next opened Task Manager, to see if there was any executables related to IB or TWS running. There was not. However, if I clicked on the TWS icon while watching the Task Manager window, I could see javaw.exe*32 appearing in the Processes list for a second, then disappearing.

This suggested to me there may a 64bit compatibility issue. I went back to the Java website to see what they said about 64bit Java. http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

There was a note under the Windows install links that said "Information about the 64-bit Java plug-in" which took me to this page http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/...20for%2064-bit which had a link for " 64-bit manual download" which when followed, took you back to the original Java Wndows download page t http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Great....so maybe it is contained within the install package, I uninstalled everything, Java, TWS and then did a driver clean, and a restart, and then installed Java again, then TWS. Same result...TWS would do nothing.

So I went to Google, and found that there was a 64 bit Java plugin that was not included in the standard JRE package. I then installed that, and then when clicking on TWS, I get an error message saying incompatible version of Java on my computer, I have version 0 when I need 6.0 or greater.

OK....this is getting wierd.

So I uninstalled Java again, and installed the one recommended on the Java webpage, did the verify Java thing, and got the congratulations message. I then uninstalled TWS and found the link to version 906 that was mentioned in the Ninjatrader install help pages.

Still getting the same problem...click on TWS and nothing continues to happen.

When I open Ninjatrader and connect to IB, I get the error message "Login failed: IB Adapter StartTWS: file C:\Jts\jts.ini does not exist. please check TWS installation."

So any help would be great..
    Last edited by Antraman; 10-31-2010, 06:47 AM.

Hello Antraman,

Thank you for your post.

For this JAVA / TWS issue, has Interactive Brokers been able to provide any guidance?

Are there any other factors for example; installing any components on a network drive or running these apps on a virtualization engine?
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chip, I am in the process of joining the IB forums to have a look for help there, but no...no network drives or virtualisation of any sort.

I'm tending to think I may have disabled some process which is preventing javaw.exe from running, though I can't remember anything specific. I am trying the Windows file permissions assistants at the moment.

I can get the TWS to work on my laptop, but I can't use that for trading...
      Last edited by Antraman; 10-31-2010, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Hello Antraman,

Please note that you will need to use the TWS stand alone version in order to connect to IB in NinjaTrader. The Java version is not supported.

I suggest to uninstall the current TWS version and install TWS 906 stand alone from the IB connection guide at the link below.

Create a connection as per the instructions outlined and you should be able to get connected to IB in NinjaTrader.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes I am using the standalone version. I think you're confusing Java version as being the web version, which is definitely not what I am using, The standalone needs Java to function.

Got no problems connecting up Ninjatrader to start IB, its just when connecting it calls the javaw.exe of TWS and hence my problem..

Comment

Hi Antraman,

If you are receiving an error message when opening IB you will need to re-direct IB to point at the javaw.exe file.

The reason is that IB can not find that executable, and so you can go to Windows Start Menu-->Search and find that file.

Then when IB opens unable to find that file you can change the directory IB looks in, and then IB should open.
            Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The problem specifically is that TWS will not open on my machine because javaw.exe is not intitialising for some reason.

Other programs that require Java to run also seem to be not be working. I realise this is not an NT or IB issue now, but a Java/My PC one...

Any advice though, would be welcome.

Comment

A happy day for me, 2 problems sorted out!

After totally uninstalling all Java and TWS applications and files, I started over with an earlier version of Java and worked my way up to current...

I discovered the reason TWS was not starting was caused by javaw.exe not initialising, and this was caused because of mistakenly pointing the Windows Shortcut message to the javaw.exe file that was in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, when it should have been pointed to the original of javaw.exe in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.x.x.x\bin folder.

The copy of javaw.exe was placed at an earlier date in the System32 folder during a previous install, but was out of date. When installing the new version of Java, it could not use the old version in the System32 folder, thus prompting the Shortcut warning message. For some reason, I browsed to the Syste32 folder to point the shortcut, not to the Java.....bin folder...maybe because of false information on the net, or me getting the source and destination folders mixed up.

So now, it appears things are all sorted. Thanks to NT Chip, Ryan and Bertrand for their help.
                Last edited by Antraman; 11-09-2010, 07:21 AM.

Comment

O/S - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
                  Broker - Interactive Brokers
                  Issue: When I click on the TWS icon, it loads the login menu but after inputting username and password, the login button won't work. You can keep clicking it without anything happening.

I have contacted IB about the issue but it is reocurring each day.

It happens twice on two different brand new machines so it is not isolated to one computer.

Has this happened to anybody? Any suggestions from support besides javaw.exe copy into System32?

Thx
                  IJ

Comment

Hello IJ,

Could it be you have TWS 918 or later installed? If so, you will need to install TWS 917 in order to connect to IB in NinjaTrader. Unfortunately TWS 918 and later are not supported and cause connection issues as the one you describe.

You can download and install TWS 917 from our IB connection guide at the link below.

Make sure the TWS API options are setup properly.

Please let me know if you are still unable to connect after you installed TWS 917.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                      Hello IJ,

Could it be you have TWS 918 or later installed? If so, you will need to install TWS 917 in order to connect to IB in NinjaTrader. Unfortunately TWS 918 and later are not supported and cause connection issues as the one you describe.

You can download and install TWS 917 from our IB connection guide at the link below.

Make sure the TWS API options are setup properly.

Please let me know if you are still unable to connect after you installed TWS 917.
                      Hi - I forgot to mention I am using the 917 TWS version from that link.

I am unable to even log into TWS standalone to adjust the API settings.

At present, I have both 32 and 64 bit ver of java installed on the machine.

Comment

Hello IJ,

Can you please double check what TWS version you have installed. You can check this in TWS at Help-->About TradersWorkStation.

If you cannot log into TWS without NinjaTrader running either, perhaps it is best to uninstall/reinstall TWS or contact IB support to troubleshoot this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                          Hello IJ,

Can you please double check what TWS version you have installed. You can check this in TWS at Help-->About TradersWorkStation.

If you cannot log into TWS without NinjaTrader running either, perhaps it is best to uninstall/reinstall TWS or contact IB support to troubleshoot this issue.

TWS 917, the proper version as recommended by NT.

Clearing the Java history in Control Panel > Java and a fresh sequence of uninstall, install, shut down, restart seems to work with this particular issue. However as stated only the day.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying.

Unfortunately I am not sure what causes this issue in TWS nor am I aware of a different workaround.

Perhaps other customers are able to assist or provide feedback.

Comment

Hello IJ,

Please see the private email I sent you.
                              Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jason; 12-15-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post i019945nj  
                              Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes