USB Modem connection problems. Historical Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Modem connection problems. Historical Data

Hello. This is an update to a problem I have been experiencing since 12 Sept. First of all thanks guys for your patience in trying to resolve this, however it does not appear to be your problem. I have been trading with no problem for 18 months using a USB Modem stick from Vodafone (in Spain) I could download 120 days of historical data from zenfire and it would literally take no more than a minute or 2. Since the 12 september it takes ages to open a chart with even just 5 days backdata this is in 6.5.18. In NT7 it´s impossible. The problem lies with Vodafone, recently Vodafone and other mobile service providers upgraded their networks to implement the 7.2 mps - 14.4mps connection speeds the upgrade identifies itself in the connection software as an HSDPA connection. Great!!! My internet browsing experience has improved dramatically, I can now partake in webinars watch streaming video with no interruptions download NT updates of 54 Megabytes in 4 minutes, its fanatastic, but, but, but Vodafone have been co operative and have tried to tweak the connection in my area, thank you Vodafone, but the problem remains the same. So my advice to any one who uses a mobile connection, reduce the lookback period to the absolute minimum that you need for your indicators and reduce the number of charts that you have open, this will reduce the download time and make it possible to trade.

My question is. What is the difference between the data used to transmit historical data and that used in internet browsing, I have used TCP connection software to monitor what is happening and for general browsing megabytes of data is coming down the line in minutes, but connect to NT and only bytes of data comes down the line, as far as I can make out we are not even talking about large files just Kilobytes. If someone could educate me as to what the difference is I might be able to point Vodafone in the right direction because from their point of view the connection is doing exactly what it says on the box.

As an aside. Fascinating. For you non american based traders. I used a trace programme and found that the connection from my home to Ninjatrader takes between 17 and 22 hops generally going from madrid to london to frankfurt to madrid to london, sometimes to italy, then the rest of the hops are stateside, my point is, that despite this my slippage is minimal to none existent so zenfire (Rythmic) must be doing something right. So if you are experiencing slippage try checking your route the delay is probably occuring enroute.
    Last edited by dee50; 11-02-2010, 11:52 AM.

Hello dee50,

Thank you for your post.

So that I may better answer your question, can you tell me which data provider you're using?
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi again Kyle. Thanks. I´m using Zenfire

Comment

I am not qualified to define the difference in data but I cans say that HTTP/HTTPS traffic runs on port 80 and port 443. The Zen-Fire historical data server communicates through Port 31654. Maybe your ISP has port priority or is somehow impacting your ability to communicate through port 31654. Other than that, I don't believe we can offer much more assitance.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

come off it

I do not mean to be rude but you can not define what format your data is transmitted in and yet you are giving technical advice? Try the other one!

Attached are 2 images of what happens when I run NT6.5 and NT7 RC1.

NT6.5.18. I ran with 3 charts of 6E 5min and 15min requesting 5 days of data and a 60min requesting 15 days. port 31654 received in total 66,508bytes or 62.5 kilobytes of data this action happened in 2 minutes. (Used to request 120 days and it would download in 1 minute.)

NT7 RC1 I ran with the identical setup. port 31654 received in total 270,435bytes or 254kilobytes. This action took 20 minutes.

In both instances 50% (approx) of the data downloaded in first seconds of the connection being made, in NT 6.5 it completed a minute later in NT 7 20 minutes later during this 20 minutes data trickled in in bytes.

Ports 40201, 40075, 41028. 40210, 41035, 41085 are obviously not being blocked by vodafone because data was continuosly being transmitted and received it just didn´t appear on the charts or in the DOM until the charts had actually loaded.

Here is the rub. NT support can not help and say it must be the ISP. The ISP say it must be the software because the connection is performing as it should in all other respects except with NT.

I believe that the problem is that I am not actually able to communicate with anyone who has the technical know how to explain what is happening and as I appear to be the only one with this problem!

By the way, if HTTP/HTTPS traffic only ran on ports 80 and 443 we would not all need to spend money on antivirus programmes
          Attached Files

Comment

The format we are sending across the wire is .ZIP files however, I am not sure how that will help you. You are right, you are the only person with this issue. I truly wish there is something we can do to resolve this issue for you but this is an ISP connection issue.
            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you. See you are qualified. Now I can confirm to the Vodafone technician that you are not using some wierd and wonderfull file format.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post arvidvanstaey  
              Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
              16 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post samish18