Log - "Error plotting values to chart data box for indicator"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log - "Error plotting values to chart data box for indicator"

Hello, I don't know where this error is coming from but it comes up in the Log tab when I initially load NinjaTrader.

I get 4 errors and they all reference an indicator, ie. SMA, WMA, VWMA, etc.

It says to: "Please check the 'OnBarUpdate' method: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Huh? I have no idea what this means as I add all my indicators via the Indicators panel.

I don't run any NinjaScipts that are custom and these errors only recently started popping up in the last few days. I've attached a screenshot of the Log where the errors are found. I have about 7-9 charts up running pretty much all the same basic indicators of moving avgs, Donchian, and volume, and as far as I can tell all the charts look normal and I can see the data from the Moving Avgs in the data box for each chart I scroll over. What specifically the errors in the Log are referencing I can't tell.

I'm frankly at a loss of where these errors are coming from, I only get them when Loading NinjaTrader initially. I wish the Log could be more specific about where exactly the errors are coming from, I don't know how I deduce where the errors come from looking at the Log. Some help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BrianL; 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM.

Hello BrianL,

Thank you for your post.

It appears that there might be a corruption in the default workspace when loaded upon start up.

To eliminate these errors, you can close NinjaTrader & then temporarily move this workspace (.xml) file,
    1. Close NinjaTrader
    2. locate the NinjaTrader workspace folder (My Documents / NinjaTrader 7 / workspaces)
    3. then select >
    4. cut >
    5. & paste all of these files to a temporary folder (e.g. on your desktop)

Please let me know once you complete this & if you are then able to start the platform and run it without issue.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

that's the thing, I can load and run NinjaTrader just fine it seems, so that's why I'm confused, I'm getting these errors and yet I can still load up NT fine and all my charts/indicators look fine. I just wish the NT log could be more specific about where these errors are occurring and on what chart(s) so I could pinpoint exactly which indicator on which chart is messing up. All my charts look the same with pretty much all the same indicators so I'd have to redo all my charts and indicators if I wanted to narrow it down by elimination - which I don't want to do because it's taken me DAYS to get it to where I like it.

Once the initial loading of NT goes through it seems fine.. I was just curious as to where these errors were coming from because they only occur on the boot up of NT, not later on when I'm actually running it while trading.

For future reference it would be nice if the log could pinpoint exactly which file/indicator/chart was generating the errors so you can deal with that specifically instead of redoing an entire layout just to fix one issue on 1 chart/indicator.

Comment

Hello BrianL,

More specific information is actually written to the diagnostic Log & Trace files. The Log tab only provides space for a brief summary.

In the case of a script that is generating errors we usually have the client perform the following steps to isolate the source of the offending script. To see where the errors are coming from after compiling the indicator. This will allow you to debug the indicator/strategy or remove it from your PC. If you are wondering why you receive an error when compiling only one indicator, it is because NinjaTrader compiles all indicators and strategies- not just one.

1. Open NinjaTrader
        2. From the Control Center select the Tools menu--> select the Edit NinjaScript menu item--> select Indicator
        3. Select an indicator and double click on it.
        4. A new window will appear and you will need to right click in the window and select Compile to compile the indicators.
        5. At the bottom of the window a new section will appear were you can find the error locations.

From there you have the option to remove the indicator or debug it.

More information regarding debugging can be found at the link below:

if this doesn’t help the you will want to send an email to support AT ninjatrader DOT com & reference this forum thread.

Thank you,
        ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Similar problem here...

Guys, my clients are getting this same error message when using our custom scripts with the Data Box open. I have a suspicion that the problem relates to DataSeries objects that have no values on some (or even most) bars -- e.g., plotting custom swing points, which have values only every 10 bars or so. With the Data Box open, does using DataSeries objects that have no values on some bars cause this error? If so, is there an elegant solution that would allow us to continue to use plots for these functions and still use the Data Box?

Thanks for your help,

Light

Comment

Hello Light,

Is there a set of steps that you could provide which would allow us to replicate this behavior?
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No steps yet...

Thanks Kyle. I have not seen the problem myself, but two of my most trusted users have seen it multiple times. However, we have only recently recognized that the problem involves the Data Box, and do not yet know steps to repeat it consistently. Do you know if using a plot that does not have values on some bars is a likely cause of conflict with the Data Box?

Thanks again...

Comment

Hello light,

We're not aware of issues with the databox and empty indicator values. I just tried using the SampleEveryNBar indicator and didn't run into this. Please let us know if you can isolate this to a workspace/indicator combination and we can try reproducing here.
                Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for your help Ryan. The fact that null-valued plots are not a known problem helps me narrow ideas for the cause. I have tried to see it in Market Replay but haven't found it yet. However, my clients have seen it a dozen times or so over the past couple of months using NT7 (not on 6.5 though -- with virtually identical code, but much less screen time with the indicators).

The forums contain an old post from 2008 reporting similar behavior involving the Data Box when indicator labels are manually erased (deleting the Label input under Indicator settings). Our indicators remove labels automatically by overriding the ToString() method in the code. That's my next lead -- weak though it is...

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=5066

If I find a way to repeat the problem (and it's not a simple programming mistake), I'll post it here. Thanks again for your help, and for going to trouble of testing the null-value idea. That helps me narrow the cause...

Best wishes,

Light

Comment

Thanks, light. Please let us know if you find anything that will help track this down.
                    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

My client also experiences the same problem with DataBox with built-in HeikenAshi indicator. I have asked him to provide exact steps to reproduce the problem. Will post here if he replies.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                      10 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Leafcutter  
                      Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Max238