Here's A Way to Draw Channels Quickly & Cleanly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's A Way to Draw Channels Quickly & Cleanly

We NT users have been begging for a channel drawing tool (you know, the one every other platform seems to have) for at least 4 years now and, for some bizarre reason, still don't have one. Yet this simple and timeless tool is critical for countless trading strategies. So I thought it time to create one that can tide us over for the time being.

The first attached screen shot shows a beautiful two-lane channel (AKA “action-reaction lines”) that I drew in 3-4 seconds. The lines are perfectly parallel, equidistant (evenly spaced), and - most importantly - right where I want them and easy to edit (rotate, slide, etc.) after drawing them. Also, this method allows me to create practically any kind of channel that has 2 to 8 parallel lines. Here's how I did it:

Preparation
    1. Draw an Andrew's pitchfork on your chart and double click on one of its three anchors to pull up the properties window.
    2. Configure the properties as shown in the second attached screen shot and then click “Set Default” and then “OK” at the bottom of the window
    3. (Optional but recommended if you like using a snap mode for drawing) Create hot keys for these three things: “Andrew’s Pitchfork”, “Snap Mode – Bar And Price”, and “Snap Mode – Disabled.” The keys should ideally all be next to each other on the keyboard since you’ll be using them together. For example, I made mine F2, F3, and F4. Now, you’re ready to channelize!

Drawing
    (These instructions are for an up-trending channel. In a downtrend, just do everything upside down).
    1. Pull up the Andrew’s pitchfork tool.
    2. (Refer to the first attached screen shot) Pin the first anchor on (or close to) the bar that forms the first pivot low somewhere slightly above the low of the bar (point A).
    3. Pin the second anchor at the low of the bar (or wherever you want the main trendline to start) (Point B).
    4. Pin the third anchor at the high of the bar that forms the subsequent pivot high (or wherever you want the line on the other side of the channel to start) (Point C). Now, three parallel lines should appear. The top two begin at points B and C and the third is an equal distance below the second. All that’s left is rotating the lines to where you want them.
    5. To rotate them, first make sure any snap mode is disabled (this is where the hot keys come in handy). Then, select the anchor at point A and drag it directly to the left or right (moving it up or down will cause it to “snap” instead of sliding smoothly) until the lines have the angle you want (Point D). If the lines are still snapping a little and you need more fine-tuned movement, move the anchor lower so that it is level with or lower than point B and then drag it farther to the left or right until the lines are exactly where you want them. The lower the anchor is when you drag it horizontally, the more accurately it will allow you to adjust the angle of the lines. Then, if you want to move the whole channel without changing angle or spacing, you can select one of the anchors, click on another part of the channel, and drag it to where you want it.
    6. If you use a snap mode, re-enable it for future drawings (also where hot keys come in handy).

That’s it. With a few minutes of practice, you’ll be whipping these puppies out in 3 seconds flat during your real-time trading.

Note that the third (lowest) line in my example is optional. If you don’t want it, you can delete it from the pitchfork properties. If you want to add a different line (like one between the top two lines or on the opposite side of them), you can add it to the properties. You can practically create whatever kind of channel you want. The point is that now you have a way to quickly draw equidistant parallel lines that have the exact spacing and angle you want.

After doing all this, if you want to draw an Andrew’s pitchfork, just put the anchors where you normally would, pull up the properties window, uncheck the boxes (far left) next to channel-only lines and check the boxes next to pitchfork-only lines (like the “Handle” line). Keep all lines for both channels and pitchforks entered into the properties window and just check and uncheck boxes whenever you switch from one to the other.

That’s it! Hope this is helpful. Please share any ideas you have that might build upon it.
    Attached Files

Hello Gumby,

Thank you for sharing this workaround and taking the time to post it on our forum!
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Very nice, Gumby

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your trading!

Comment

Yes, a very good idea from Gumby, thank you!

A note to NT Devs: this is a *work-around* for the non-existent channel tool. This, unlike copy-pasting rays or lines, at least produces parallel, equidistant lines. But it is still a work-around, not the real deal, as it behaves differently from real channels in many ways. Still looking forward to a simple channel tool to appear in NT 7. Thank you.

Geo

Comment

Hello Geo,

I will forward your feedback to include such a tool by default to Development.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
            I will forward your feedback to include such a tool by default to Development.
            Thanks to the team for integrating trendchannel in the newest version.

Is it possible to set up a "Set Default" Button in the channel options ? I´m still missing him to save changed options for future.

Comment

Hi ronner,

Please right click in the propreties menu, then select Manage Templates and save your template as 'Default'.
              KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                Please right click in the propreties menu,
                oh, great - thank you Kyle for this

Comment

Just love the new Trend Channel tool....

Thanks...!!

Comment

Just One Issue

I agree; this is a great tool. It would be perfect if it wasn't for one little issue: Only two of the three anchors can be adjusted after being placed on the chart. The first two anchors, which determine the location and slope of the channel can be adjusted, but the third, which determines the width of all lanes within the channel cannot be (even though it is marked with the same large black square that the other two are marked with when the channel is selected). This is in contrast to the Andrew's Pitchfork, which allows all three of its anchors to be adjusted at any time - a very useful feature. Will this be possible to fix? If fixed, I think this tool will be perfect. Thanks Development!

Comment

Glad you guys like the tool.

Gumby,

The reason the 3 anchor points of the trend channel tool behaves differently than the Pitchfork is because the pitchfork does not have a requirement to reposition a point without resizing the tool, while the trend channel tool does.

The usage of the various anchor points in the trend channel tool are as follows.
                      • Trend line = has two anchor points. These are used to determine the location, slope, length of the tool.
                      • Parallel line = has one anchor point. This point is used for repositioning the parallel line. You can decide you want the parallel line more forward or back by repositioning it with this point.

This reposition anchor cannot also be a resizing anchor because you do not necessarily always want to increase/decrease the length of your lines when you want to move it forward/backwards. Unfortunately to be able to do all the common manipulations of the object one may desire requires this difference in behavior of the anchor points. The trend line anchors are the only ones that can be used to resize the object. The parallel line anchor is the only one that can be used to reposition the associated parallel lines.
                      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I just realized that the problem is different than what I thought it was. I understand that the parallel line anchor is supposed to be used to "reposition the associated parallel lines." I didn't have a problem with that. What I was saying was that an apparent glitch seemed to render the parallel line anchor incapable of doing anything at all after it is placed on the chart. However, I just realized that that's not true. The reason I thought it was is because normally, when you select a drawing tool that's on the chart and hover the mouse over an anchor point that can be used to adjust the tool, the cursor changes from one with 4 arrows to one with 2 arrows, but this doesn't happen with the parallel line anchor; thus I assumed it couldn't be used to reposition. So the glitch is much more minor than I thought but is still a glitch nonetheless. I hope this makes sense.

Comment

Hello Gumby,

Unfortunately, I am not quite sure if I follow. Are you saying that the 4 arrow cursor is the glitch here - it should reflect a 2 arrow cursor when you hover your cursor on the parallel anchor?

The 4 arrow cursor indicates that you will relocate the drawing object, which is the case when you modify the parallel anchor point. When the cursor changes to a 2 arrow cursor, it indicates you can alter the drawing object - not relocating the drawing object.

Comment

[QUOTE=NinjaTrader_Josh;237283]
                            Glad you guys like the tool.

• Trend line = has two anchor points. These are used to determine the location, slope, length of the tool.
                            • Parallel line = has one anchor point. This point is used for repositioning the parallel line. You can decide you want the parallel line more forward or back by repositioning it with this point.
                            Josh...what about also providing an anchor point on the right end of the parallel line...??

And...what about offering several extend right options...say extend right one unit equal to the initial setup length.... perhaps extend right one, two and three initial unit options....perhaps with line markers to indicate initial setup length.

Thanks....
                            Last edited by Alfred; 05-21-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Hello Alfred,

I will forward your suggestions to development for future enhancements. Once they have been inserted in our tracking system, I will post the ID numbers associated with your suggestions.

Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              3 responses