Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy not backtesting

Hi,

I'm new to Ninjatrader, so forgive me if this has been answered already before.

This is my setup:

NT7 (latest release)
    MBTrader demo account.

EUR/USD 15 min chart

I'm just testing the program so I compiled a little strategy where if DI+(40) crosses DI-(40) there should be a long entry.
    When I put this in the backtest and hit "run backtest" the screen flickers for a second and then nothing happens. zero results, no progress bar in the control center...nothing...

What am I missing?

Thanks

Hello earhere,

Thank you for your post.

The first question is if your strategy has an enable/disable setting that you can toggle on/off.

If the strategy is enabled then it is down to one or more condition(s) that were not applied correctly.

Also check that you have sufficient amount of historical data for the strategy to calculate the buy/sell triggers.

If none of this is applicable please provide more detail as to the strategy conditions & the settings used in it testing (application).

Thank you,
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks.

No, no enable on/off switch.

However, when I add the strategy to the control center, and right-click

"strategy performance" - "historical", it does show me some historical trades, with a chart and everything.....

Why why why?

Comment

earhere do you see any error in the log tab as you attempt to backtest it? Are you connected to a data provider as you backtest in the Strategy Analyer, if yes which one?

Would you see the same outcome with our supplied SampleMACrossOver strategy?

Thanks
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the fast replies....excellent Customer service!

I'm not in front of my computer to test the things you asked for, will do this later.
          But quick question:

I think I'm using MB trading for historical data because that's the demo account that I'm connected to.
          Is this correct? How would I check this?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello earhere,

Thanks for your kind words!

Please update us on those items when you get a chance.

You can check to see which provider you are connected to by looking in the lower left corner of the Control Center. Whenever you are connected, you will see a green box which reports 'Connected -' then names the provider you are connected to.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just got back to my computer.

- no errors in the log
              - sampleMAcrossover strategy, same thing happens, no results....
              - connected to MB trading.

Comment

Hello earhere,

In that case let’s tackle the SampleMAcrossover item first. Make sure you’re connected to your data provider and then to run this strategy from the chart make sure you complete the following 5 steps:

1. Within an open chart, either select the Strategies... menu from within the right mouse button click context menu, the Strategies icon from the tool bar or press the default CTRL + S Hot Key on your keyboard to bring up the Strategies dialog window

2. Select to add the SampleMAcrossover strategy and either press the New button or double click on the strategy

3. Once added to the list of applied strategies, you can now edit the strategy's properties

4. Set the strategies properties. You must set the property Enabled to True to actually turn on the strategy.

5. Press the "OK" button to run the strategy

Let me know if your see the results this time.

Thank you,
                ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Chip,

Yes, on the cart I see results, both with the SampleMA strategy and with my own strategy.

But when I go into the Strategy Analyzer; select the SampleMA strategy and hit Backtest (the little B icon up top) then a window comes up, where I can set backtest parameters.

Then I hit "run backtest", the screen flickers briefly and then an empty report with no trades in it shows up.

There is no progress bar or abort button in the control center either.

Comment

earhere,

There may be differences in the way the strategy is setup from the control center compared to the strategy analyzer screen. Can you take a screenshot of your strategy analyzer backtest settings. There may be a clue there.

To send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CRTL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
                    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, I fixed it.....user error....

I finally realized I had to select an instrument first, and then apply the strategy to that...now it's working !!

Thanks for your support

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
                      12 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post DrakeiJosh  
                      Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
                      3 responses
                      0 likes